88-89 Tailgate straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a nice set, (metal folding kind, not the cables) PM me if you have some for sale. TIA Jess in Ky

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gmt 400s didn't come with metal straps, only cables. You may be able to swap in a set from a square body truck, 1973-1987. These days though, some people are swapping in a set of gas struts, like newer trucks have.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gmt 400s didn't come with metal straps, only cables. You may be able to swap in a set from a square body truck, 1973-1987. These days though, some people are swapping in a set of gas struts, like newer trucks have.
I have metal straps on all three of my '89 GMT400 trucks.
Edit: If I'm not mistaken the 88 to 94 trucks came from the factory with metal straps.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best bet for trying to find some is your local pull-a-part or junkyard. That's where I found mine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008-085344.png
    Screenshot_20221008-085344.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a stepside bed with the straps for a gmt 400, They carried over the late square body tailgate engineering for the hinge/straps/removeable part i believe till they went to the cables.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The straps are actually a design that dates back to the 67-72 trucks, redesigned in 76 I think? but they carried through into the first few years of GMT400's. I know I've had them on a number of 88's and 89's in the yard, and according to Classic Industries, they were used up to '91. I didn't know they used them that long!

You can see them, just barely, on the very last one of the tailgates in this stack - these were take-offs from a place that had installed liftgates on their shop trucks, and stored the brand-new tailgates. All four are GMT400. Three are cable style.. the last one has straps.

You must be registered for see images attach

It would coincidentally be the tailgate from this truck, an '88 from the same place, an engine rebuilding shop I bought out a bunch of fixtures, shelving, etc. and of course this truck and those tailgates.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP - you can get them brand new for $14 a side. They're reproduction, so I don't know how the quality is, but one would hope new would be better than 30+ year old tailgate parts. Part #'s T70506 and T70507 pretty sure this is what you're looking for. You're still gonna need the special bolts/studs for them and I don't know if Classic carries those.

Richard