88 350 TBI cold start stumble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just did a cold start. Still did 3 stumbles within first 20 seconds. Starting coolant temp was 28 on scanner. Watched MAP numbers closely and they constantly move a small amount. No noticeable difference during stumble.

One thing I’ve forgot to mention. When it first starts it around 1125 RPM. It gradually rises to 1200-1250 within the first 10 seconds.

Can you post a video next time?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other thing. I noticed today before I started I was down between a cup and a pint of coolant. It’s loosing this much in about 700 miles. I can find no evidence of a leak. No water in oil. No sweet smelling exhaust or white smoke.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed today before I started I was down between a cup and a pint of coolant. It’s loosing this much in about 700 miles. I can find no evidence of a leak. No water in oil. No sweet smelling exhaust or white smoke.
I had pretty much the same issue - it turned out to be blown head gaskets. i hope that's not your issue.

Maurice Evans

Reaction score
Still fighting this thing. I got rid of the idle surge, it was the heat stove flapper in the air cleaner being stuck open. But I’m still getting 4 or 5 stumbles when it’s on fast idle 1200-1250rpm. After that everything is perfect. This morning I disconnected the evap canister from the TB and plugged the vacuum port. Still stumbles. All ignition parts are new Delco. New fuel filter. No changes in scanner readings when it stumbles. I have a new TPS arriving today, and new EGR valve and MAP sensor coming next week. Anything else to try?