88 350 TBI cold start stumble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still fighting this thing. I got rid of the idle surge, it was the heat stove flapper in the air cleaner being stuck open. But I’m still getting 4 or 5 stumbles when it’s on fast idle 1200-1250rpm. After that everything is perfect. This morning I disconnected the evap canister from the TB and plugged the vacuum port. Still stumbles. All ignition parts are new Delco. New fuel filter. No changes in scanner readings when it stumbles. I have a new TPS arriving today, and new EGR valve and MAP sensor coming next week. Anything else to try?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No changes in scanner readings when it stumbles.
Can you data log and then look closely at the data? Here's a running average history table from Tuner Pro RT where I caught SA @ 4800 - 6,000 where I never ran that engine that high (well not 6,000 anyway). It turned out to be the ICM and coil sending a DRP (Distibutor Reference Pulse) sporadically to the ECM which thought it was running that fast so, it changed timing and fuel to match that speed. These pulses were random and so fast I didn't see it happen real time. This was while cruising at ~2200RPM with the engine warm but, who knows yours may be doing it cold?

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember from another thread your cross counts were better after you fixed the heat riser pipe?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seem to remember from another thread your cross counts were better after you fixed the heat riser pipe?
Cross counts are within spec now. I feel like fixing the butterfly so it pulls air from the heat riser fixed the surging during warmup. But still have that annoying stumble. Only at high idle 1200-1250.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How cold is cold? When my '88 got down near a 0 degree cold start it was a pig for the first 10 seconds. I'd have to give it gas for a bit before it could catch itself. Everything after that was fine. Parents' 87 G20 van was the same way. Both parked with the nose facing the lake (Superior) so that didn't help. In the days of carburetion that would sometimes spell a no start.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How cold is cold? When my '88 got down near a 0 degree cold start it was a pig for the first 10 seconds. I'd have to give it gas for a bit before it could catch itself. Everything after that was fine. Parents' 87 G20 van was the same way. Both parked with the nose facing the lake (Superior) so that didn't help. In the days of carburetion that would sometimes spell a no start.
I think it was 16 this morning when I started it.