88 1500 2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn. I'm curious on this project though.... kinda wish my burb was 4wd. Guess I'll follow your project to see the process:)

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easiest and cheapest way is to buy a 4wd and swap bodies. Yeah can do an SAS, but by sounds of it OP doesn’t want to get that involved. And if a shop is gonna do it, it be over 10g easily.

JasonG

Reaction score
Would think a frame swap would be most realistic and quickest everything is already in place would need to adapt your 2wd trans to accept a transfer case but I would go that rather then SAS. Guess it all depends on what your keeping and can let go. If your just sentimental about the body of the truck then its a simple body swap. If its drive train and body then its gonna be more work. The SAS is great if money is no object or if you or someone you know is a fab guy been there done that never again to much work for me for the out come. i would just buy a k5 or something... and it wasn't even my money or my truck I was just helping out. Honestly if your gonna pay a shop to do something like that why not just make this one a 2wd street rod give it some hp and upgrade suspension. you don't have to slam it or anything just put some slightly over sized tires on it leveling kit and keep it clean. Is that an option? Maybe get cheap 4x4 for your other needs.