8.1L swap into my 7.4L K2500 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Cruz

Reaction score
Think I know the answer but I would guess a tbi cannot supply enough fuel to feed that 502,true?

Something like that, I could get a ported TBI unit that flows around 720cfm and mess with getting chip flashing equipment, but for the money a new street demon for now.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the heads off an 8.1 would swap onto a 7.4 vortec? Just curious since the the 8100 has those nice roller rockers. Looks like it has a one piece Intake manifold too.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the heads off an 8.1 would swap onto a 7.4 vortec? Just curious since the the 8100 has those nice roller rockers. Looks like it has a one piece Intake manifold too.
A stock 8.1 does not have roller rockers.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Well from what i read normal big block heads won't fit the 8.1, so i'd assume no to this.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well from what i read normal big block heads won't fit the 8.1, so i'd assume no to this.
That is correct. The head bolt pattern is not the same. I have seen a few 8.1 builds where the block was modified to use older heads but it involves some machine work. Capping off a bolt hole with threaded iron plugs, redrilling a hole, tapping it and a resurface.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THREE head bolt holes on each deck need to be moved to swap heads between the older big-blocks and the 8.1L. Six holes per engine block.

The holes need to be moved about 1/2 of their diameter. See the pen/pencil points where I've laid the older gasket on top of an 8,1L gasket.

There's coolant-passage changes also.

You must be registered for see images