8.1 Vortec Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for a good used 8.1 for my brothers beater truck. He bought the thing dirt cheap and now we know why. Cylinder one measured 5 psi in a compression test and the engine missed. Check out the carbon in the exhaust manifold…lol. This engine was supposedly rebuilt. Obviously by an a$$ clown. Looking for some thing that is fairly Local to West Michigan. Thanks for looking.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That sucks, It must have been running like that for a while with that kind of buildup in the exhaust.

Good luck finding an 8.1 used for a reasonable price.

You can still buy 7.4, 8.1 and 8.8's new as they are still used in industrial generators.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes! Is that piston broken? That seems like an expensive fix. I've got one in my backyard mated to a 5 speed Allison...bought to swap into my K3500, but hasn't happened. I forget it exists unless I'm mowing the yard, LOL.

I think there may be a FB group on these engines?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad you're so far away. There's one on CL in Houston TX for $1500 still in the truck claimed as perfect running, presumably you could confirm before buying. It's in a heavy duty truck so there may be differences.. typically those engines are somewhat detuned compared to light trucks, for longevity purposes.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I googled it, just not sure how it's relevant to a 454/496?
It's the modern version, for lack of better term, of the 8.1. PSI has been a GM industrial engine supplier since the 90's (or longer?) and have continued production of larger-than-8.1 engines based on the 8.1 design. I believe they still offer new 8.1's also. I guess the person that originally brought them up, the point is, 8.1's are still being produced and used although GM is through selling them.

Richard