7.4L CMP Retard -16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do Vortecs have a timing pointer to measure degrees of movement? Fairly sure the small-block Vortecs don't; haven't even looked for a timing pointer on my 7.4L.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 was also 29 out and no CEL. If it's only off by 16 it's worth twisting the distributor to see if it swings back in spec. In my case, 29 was as good as it got and jumping a tooth over only made it worse. A new distributor gear got me back on my way. The timing chains are a bigger factor in the V6s as they aren't adjustable.

Zephian

Reaction score
If all goes well I should get around to pulling the distributor tonight. It's been 100+ and the truck is across the street with no shade.
Will update.

Zephian

Reaction score
If all goes well I should get around to pulling the distributor tonight. It's been 100+ and the truck is across the street with no shade.
Will update.
finally got around to it, timing was off though and it would start but not stay running... waiting for cooler temp to give it another go. It's too damn hot in the ca valley. My old distributor was destroyed. There is hardly a 'tooth' left. It's 3/4 worn through on each one. Holy cow. Hope the engine is ok and that all ends up in my pan...

Zephian

Reaction score
finally got around to it, timing was off though and it would start but not stay running... waiting for cooler temp to give it another go. It's too damn hot in the ca valley. My old distributor was destroyed. There is hardly a 'tooth' left. It's 3/4 worn through on each one. Holy cow. Hope the engine is ok and that all ends up in my pan...
Finally screwed with distributor again. Lined up tdc (used a screwdriver in #1 and verified it was being pushed out) dropped it in, rotor pointing dead on #1 fully engaged, won't start. Sounds like it wants to fire and I don't hear any backfire but there's some white/grey smoke out the exhaust. Any ideas?

Zephian

Reaction score
It was user error. I was aligning rotor to the outside plug connection instead of the contact on the inside of the cap. She's back up and running! Thank you everyone. Cam retard is 2 degrees off and with the summit distributor hold down there is no room for adjustment. I need to enlarge the hole a bit to adjust but atleast it's off the street for now.

Zephian

Reaction score
Got the distributor adjusted. now I'm getting random misfires at idle and running rough. clears up above 1k rpm. Ideas?

Edit: I drove the truck ~40 miles to work. Runs and drives great. I idled a bit once I got to work and it seemed to have smoothed out a bit but definitely still a bit rough and some misfiring according to scanner. Primarily in cylinder 4. I have not replaced plugs and wires yet but it's on my to do list. Could this be the issue?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: