6 lug 14 bolt semi floater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started doing some research on the 14 bolt rear ends as I plan to replace the factory 10 bolt in the coming months. Ideally, I'd like to end up with a 6 lug 14 bolt with 3.73 gears, a Detroit locker and disc brakes. I still have a few questions:

-Would it be beneficial to find a factory G80 rear vs an open one or doesn't that matter since I plan on having the axle rebuilt and a locker installed ? I'm sure the price difference is minimal but a dollar is a dollar.
-Were there any years that 6 lug 14 bolts came with factory disc brakes? Maybe 99 and newer? If not, I can always convert them. I am aware that I'll need a disc/disc proportioning valve.
-Is a 14 bolt from a gmt800 or van a direct bolt in?

Thank you,
Eric

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your putting an aftermarket posit in it, get an open dif-they're normally quite a bit less expensive.
Im not aware of a stock 14bolt, that will bolt up to your truck, that came with disc brakes.
The 99-06,7 or so 14 bolts were available with disc brakes, but they don't bolt up-but it's fairly easy to relocate the spring perches.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did the GMT800's have 14 bolt 9.5's that were 6 lug? What would that come in, a 1500HD I guess? I don't know much about the 800's.

But yeah, no GMT400 came with rear disc (except the Dana 80 in a 3500HD) so you won't find a "bolt-in" 14 bolt with rear disc ready to go from original.

Since you're 4WD be sure to watch your width. The 2WD versions of the 14 bolt are narrower by several inches.

Richard

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the 14 bolt 6 lug you can piece together your own disc brakes using brake components from a 00-03,04 truck/suburban. All you'll need is 60 mm spacers on both sides. There's a write up in here on how to do it I believe.