6.5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin 1994

Reaction score
So i have a 1994 k1500 extended cab with the 350 gasser and i have been thinking about swapping in the 6.5 out of a 1992 k2500 i have laying in the weeds. I haven't really been able to fine definitive answers through all my reading so im hoping some of you can help me out. what all should i have to do to get it all in and working.e 1500 has about 200k on it and the 6.5 is at 140k the 1500 body and frame is over 800k with very minimal rust.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Austin 1994

Reaction score
Why? Just put in another 350
Im currently going to school for this kind of thing and i already have a 383 ready for the truck i am just wanting a diesel not for the towing capabilities just for the fact that my dad had one when i was younger and i absolutly loved that thing.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have it, and want to, go for it. The 6.5 and 6.2's I've had were OK, because my boss had to pay repair bills, not me. We used em for tow rigs though and stuff breaks. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own. Would be a good fuel efficient pickup if you have a good 6.5 and meticulously care for it.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your just looking for mileage then go for it. Just be easy on it and don't do any hauling. Should be fine. Go mechanical with the IP and run a larger turbo then what came on it stock

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Diesel Place is a great resource for the 6.5. Many knowledgeable people over there. Be warned that just as there are many here who would try to talk you out of a 6.5 swap, the folks over there are just as likely to try talking you into it. Keep in mind that on top of all the other diesel specific parts you will need to swap over (fuel tank, pump, lines, fuel heater/filter/water separator, PMD, glow controller, etc), your current transmission is not compatible. You will need the heavier 4l80e trans with the diesel specific torque converter. If your truck out there in the weeds has a dead tranny you may already have your answer.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
there;s two sides to every coin.....i've always found myself on the "underdog" side......do the swap. i for one would like to watch.

a friend had and old 6.2 with a Banks setup on it.....was as reliable and long lived and a rock.

don't believe the naysayers, believe what you find out for yourself.