5 speed transmission questions...Need some help....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smknvette

Reaction score
Hey guys my 93 silverado has a 5 speed in it that has a crack in the case. It leaks fluid constantly and is frankly annoying. I bought another one off ebay and of course i didnt get the right one. From what i have figured out the one i bought is for the 88-92's. Mine is the 93-98. If i buy a shifter for the other transmission will it switch out and work in my truck? The only way i figured out they were different is where the shifter mounts. The little ball the shifter fits in is different heights. The one in my truck sticks up 1/4in., and the one i bought sticks up 7/8in. Thanks for any help. The dang shifter is $200 so i dont wanna just waste the money if the other transmission wont fit. Thanks

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
You'll have to cut the shifter and weld it onto the other, that's what I did.. HOWEVER.. I soon after cut it back off and welded it BACK on to the original transmission after giving up and having it rebuilt..

Also I believe 88-90 was 5LM60, 91/92 was HM290, 93/94 was NV3500 (external slave cylinder) and 95-98 was the nv3500 with an internal slave cylinder.

A 95+ transmission won't work for you without some modification I believe.

Also, the 88-92 transmissions were terrible from what I have read.

smknvette

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Sounds like I'm just gonna buy a new one and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk