5 speed swap info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok like the title says, I am thinking a 5 speed will work best for what I'm planning with my 88. My question how much abuse will an nv3500 hold up to? The truck is going to get lowered and learn to corner, I would go with a t56 but i have to get something that i can bolt a tcase to. Do should I do the nv3500 or 4500?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
My NV3500 takes some serious punishment.
An NV4500 from later years WITHOUT the "Low" first gear would be your best bet. Handle a lot of abuse, and bolt right up to a t-case.
The later years have an internal slave cylinder though, where as the older years have an external.

If your looking at some serious ponies and FT LBS don't even hesitate on going for the nv4500. But an early version won't be very daily driver/around town friendly, it'll basically have a useless gear

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My NV3500 takes some serious punishment.
An NV4500 from later years WITHOUT the "Low" first gear would be your best bet. Handle a lot of abuse, and bolt right up to a t-case.
The later years have an internal slave cylinder though, where as the older years have an external.

If your looking at some serious ponies and FT LBS don't even hesitate on going for the nv4500. But an early version won't be very daily driver/around town friendly, it'll basically have a useless gear
So what years should I look for

What about a t56 with a divorced t-case?

Sent from A Thunderbolt

I would prefer to keep it a simpler setup and I don't have the fab tools to build a mount for a tcase

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
So what years should I look for
I would prefer to keep it a simpler setup and I don't have the fab tools to build a mount for a tcase

Oh, ch!t, I believe its 96 and later for the internal slave set up and the more daily driver friendly gear ratios.

If your going with an NV3500, 93 and newer.
The 88-92 manual trannys had some serious bearing issues and etc, prone to failure (2 diff styles, HM290, 5LM60 I believe is what they were)

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have a stock small block you should be able to use a 3500 without breaking it.

Some pros of a nv3500
-lighter, about half the weight
-cheaper (typically)
-takes standard syncromesh fluid

Some cons of a nv3500
-pain to rebuild
-no top loading
-bell housing not removable

Last edited:

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you have a stock small block you should be able to use a 3500 without breaking it.

Some pros of a nv3500
-lighter, about half the weight
-cheaper (typically)
-takes standard syncromesh fluid

Some cons of a nv3500
-pain to rebuild
-no top loading
-bell housing not removable

Planning mildly built 5.3 and someday maybe adding a kb kit so not even close to the stock small block lol. Just wondered if I'm smart about how launch the few dragstrip trips it will getwill a 3500 hold up

Last edited:

tmitchell91

Reaction score
i would go with the nv4500 from a 93 or newer ..runs the 5.61 gears off the input shaft . that trans will still peel the tread of the tires in low ...takes a beatin too ... i got a warning the first time i drove my truck. forgot about the low gear and punched the gas at a stop light with two sheriffs behind me:Big Laugh: