5 speed suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stumbled across a a 94 K1500 Suburban with a per the owner 5.7/NV4500/NP241. A quick glance did reveal a small block, stick shift tranny and a manual shift transfer case. He didn't have the keys and the doors were locked and of course it is buried in blackberry bushes. He said that he would part with the tranny/transfer case but that he wanted the engine. Has anyone seen this combo? Honestly, I've never seen a stick shift 400 suburban.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That would be a first for me too. I have seen a confirmed factory 5 speed 2 door z71 tahoe. Only one that is confirmed manual from the factory tho. RPO code for the nv4500 should be MT8

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of more than one GMT400 Tahoe with a manual trans original. Certainly rare, but they're out there.

Haven't ever seen/heard of a GMT400 Suburban with manual trans until this post. In 1994 yes MT8 would be the RPO for the NV4500. (A year or two later it would be MW3.)

Would be interesting to see. Why does he want to part it out? Body bad? If not...buy the whole truck?

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy wants to keep the supposedly built vortec engine for another project. I tried to explain that he just has a tbi engine but he can't comprehend the difference. The interior is thrashed, it looks like someone was living in it.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Interesting combo.
Not comparable, but my parents had an '84 2 door full size Blazer that had a 305/5 speed combo.
I thought that was an interesting combo at the time.
It still was a gutless son of a...........

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the truth comes out. It was swapped in. They did a decent job of the conversion but they missed the brake pedal. Unfortunately for me it has an nv3500. He said that he would take $400 for it not running and without a title. I just can't justify the cost because I will have to cut it into pieces to get rid of it. Too much labor for too little return.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this combo? Honestly, I've never seen a stick shift 400 suburban.

This is the dream right here:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/131-0205-nv5600-transmission-custom-swap-kit/

If this kit ever came back into production, I'm opening some credit cards and exploding the old credit score.

I've got the TBI BBC, which makes everything that much more difficult to play with, but having the "bombproof" NV5600 behind the 454 would kick-@$$.

It looks expensive as all hell, and would likely put your rig down for at least a couple weeks to do it right on nights/weekends, after you actually found all the parts and manuals to get your wiring right - but WHO CARES!!!

Anyway, even going with the NV4500 seems like a heckuva lot of work. The goal is to slowly accumulate some parts and pull the trigger before I'm 100 years old!

Last edited: