5 speed manual help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys, was roaming the local yard and found a RCLB 2wd 5 speed. My truck is a RCLB 2wd but auto, with the intentions of making it a standard. What would be everything I need off this truck to make it work in my truck?

I was especially wondering about the transmission cross-member is they are the same, and if the driveshaft lengths are the same? I heard that computers might have to be changed.

My truck is 92 with 350/700r4. this other truck is a 98 with nv3500. (I will upgrade to 4500 sometime but I`m not towing or racing)

I tried searching the forum but could not come up with a COMLETE list of everything I would need to take off the parts truck in the salvage yard to put on my truck. As always, any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Trans, clutch lines, flywheel, clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder (internal slave on a 98), clutch pedal, Brake pedal, shifter, shifter boot and boot retainer, instrument cluster(if you want to get rid of PRNDL, however a 98 cluster won't fit in your 92.), Clutch start switches under the dash, Transfer case (32 spline vs your 27 spline), You might need the prop shafts; the 4L60 doesn't but the 700r4 probably will, Steering Column. The computer is different, and the 98 won't work. You need a PROM from a 92-95 with manual trans, they use the same computer as yours. Some creative rewiring will be needed to switch the neutral start system to a clutch pedal safety start system, but you shouldn't need the whole harness. I THINK that's it.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Easier, less stress and probably cheaper in the long run to trade your truck in for one with a standard, if thats what you really want

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
It's actually not as bad as it sounds since all of the parts can come off of one vehicle. The PROM chip in the ECM could probably be burned by a tuner for a reasonable price.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The swap would not really be a concern of mine that it would be difficult. I have always done my own work on vehicles; cam swap, engine rebuild-then swapped, all maintenance, lots of electrical issues/rewiring.

What is the computer that I would need to get if I got a different one? Would it be the black module that looks shaped like a black book and sits beside the brake master cylinder? The salvage yard said $20 for pedals/linkages/misc items, $450 for transmission, but didnt ask about computer - I would imagine around $50? I have a welder and would buy the clutch pedal bracket new from work. (GM)

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to check out Dave's (88GMCtruck) nv4500 swap. That is exactly what you want to do.