5 Speed gurus, your help is needed! Tranny swap, clutch questions, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5SPD350

Reaction score
So I've just picked up an NV3500 out of a 1997 Chevy C1500 4.3 V6. I'm going to be replacing my 5LM60 (older model of NV3500) with this new transmission to back my 350 TBI.

I know that the NV3500 is an internal slave configuration, and the 5LM60 is an external setup. My question is, what all needs to be changed over for this transmission to work?

Obviously it uses a different hydraulic clutch line, but is the end that goes to the master cylinder the same style as the master cylinder that I have for my 5LM60? Or will I need to switch it to a 1997 style master cylinder?

I also plan to get a new clutch and pressure plate. What is the best clutch for a daily driver, that will tow from time to time, and that can take some abuse as I do like to bang gears from time to time. Ones I'm hearing are good are Hays super truck clutch, and centerforce dual friction. What about clutch diameter? I see anything from 10"-12" and everything in between.

After everything is in, I'll be adding a Core Shifters short throw shifter as well.

I'm also in the process of swapping in a 1990 454ss 14 bolt 9.5 SF 5 lug rear end that I bought forever ago that has 3.73 gears, and a new eaton locker unit.

I'm slowly getting to updating my drivetrain on my truck so that I'll have many more years of use out of it. Plans hopefully will be snagging a low mileage 350 Vortec 4 bolt Long block to replace my 350 TBI around tax time. Will be maintaining my TBI setup, by use of a carb intake and TBI adapter.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!