5.7L Towing Upgrades (yes, another thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to note.. the rad will be replaced with new aluminum one as it just started to leak... so rad & efan it is!!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to note.. the rad will be replaced with new aluminum one as it just started to leak... so rad & efan it is!!!

Get the radiator for a 3500. It's taller and twice as thick. All you'd need are the tall upper mounts from a 2500 or 3500.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It takes a REAL electric fan system to better a properly-functioning belt-drive fan-and-thermo-clutch system.

Most folks slap on a crappy under-powered aftermarket system with no louvers in the shroud, and think they've got something.

Might work at idle, or low-load--but without the vents in the shroud, the overheating moves to mid/high speed vehicle operation.

I have yet to see an electric fan setup that will better the early durmax blade on a trailblazer ss clutch that I had on my Express van. The durmax fan moved more air at idle than the late model Tahoe fans move on high speed. Above idle is where they really shine.

The clutch fan absolutely helps move air on a hot day. I can feel and hear it pulse on and off running 80 mph.

This was with the fan and waterpump 33% underdriven from the crank and the engine idling 750 rpm. When the fan clutch engaged on the dyno it cost me 10 hp and 15 tq but the thing NEVER ran hotter than 178-182°F. The only time the clutch would engage is on a 90+F day with the a/c blasting in bumper to bumper traffic or pulling the travel trailer at heavy throttle uphill. When the clutch fan engaged the a/c would drop below freezing out of the vents and blow fog.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have yet to see an electric fan setup that will better the early durmax blade on a trailblazer ss clutch that I had on my Express van. The durmax fan moved more air at idle than the late model Tahoe fans move on high speed. Above idle is where they really shine.

The clutch fan absolutely helps move air on a hot day. I can feel and hear it pulse on and off running 80 mph.

This was with the fan and waterpump 33% underdriven from the crank and the engine idling 750 rpm. When the fan clutch engaged on the dyno it cost me 10 hp and 15 tq but the thing NEVER ran hotter than 178-182°F. The only time the clutch would engage is on a 90+F day with the a/c blasting in bumper to bumper traffic or pulling the travel trailer at heavy throttle uphill. When the clutch fan engaged the a/c would drop below freezing out of the vents and blow fog.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was this on a water pump with a 4 bolt pulley or the later style? The wife's Envoy Denali has the 5.3 which has the same fan and clutch as the 4.2 I6. So the TBSS got its own ******* fan clutch?

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never touched the leafs or had the need too my heavy half as u can see in the pics is holding up very well!!!

Brakes are new, but no upgrades. Between the truck & trailer brakes she stops very well..

Wheeler, is your truck a heavy half ton (6600gvw) or light duty 3/4 (7200gvw)? Im running a LD 3/4ton with a 4+1 leaf pack lugging a 2500-3000# camper (loaded) around.

I was getting my ass kicked until i added airlift, at around 95psi i am 'level' but found being less bag dependent helps overall. Right now Im running 80psi and have the overload springs semi engaged. This seems to take some of the load off the two bag contact points and spreads it across the two bags AND the leaf spring hangers, essentially 6 contact points. Seems more stable overall, more so at speed. I will upgrade to a 6+1 pack (3000# rated/leaf) one day bc I'm around 5500# total gawr at the rear.

You considered Hydroboosting? Game changer in terms of braking power. Im running one ton HB c/w one OS pump and cooler, massive improvement over stock, definitely recommend it, especially since your rig is full time tow machine! It a pretty simple, relatively cost effective upgrade. The boneyard is your friend.

Nice truck btw, great work. Thought I'd share my experiences to my neighbor haha. Here's mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was this on a water pump with a 4 bolt pulley or the later style? The wife's Envoy Denali has the 5.3 which has the same fan and clutch as the 4.2 I6. So the TBSS got its own ******* fan clutch?
TBSS has a thermal clutch. Same thread as a Vortec 350, 454 or 8.1 but the larger bolt circle of the Duramax blade.