5.7 vortec serpentine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys i just changed my serpentine belt for piece of mind, and now it seems to be squealing and slips a fair bit off and on. is this normal or does it just need to self adjust?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use to have that Issue with mine on my 97. I replaced it with a Gates brand belt and I haven't had that issue again. I know the Gates it twice as much, but it is worth the money.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Tensioner spring could be weak.. or the belt could be too long, or a combination of both.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ran some part numbers on the dayco site, turns out my old belt is 1.56" shorter than my new belt. hence why its slipping. ill have to try and exchange it

so for now im running my old belt with no noises

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Awesome! It could be the case of someone bought a few belts, and slipped the wrong sleeve on to return it... having worked in a parts store for 5 years a lifetime ago, I have seen it all!

Worst offenders were U-joints. People would buy the internal and external clip ones, and bring back the ones they didn't need, albeit swapped all around, because they don't care.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Awesome! It could be the case of someone bought a few belts, and slipped the wrong sleeve on to return it... having worked in a parts store for 5 years a lifetime ago, I have seen it all!

Worst offenders were U-joints. People would buy the internal and external clip ones, and bring back the ones they didn't need, albeit swapped all around, because they don't care.
I've had that happen a few times with mower belts get the right part number but wrong belt go back and get another one with the same part number and it's correct

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

i should be used to it by now. but ive got a 1100km trip to do on saturday so it couldnt hurt for piece of mind