5.7 vortec help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i have a 96 with the 350 vortec and it’s been running strong and then all of a sudden today was in a drive through and heard knocking so got home and started listening and it’s definitely coming from the block, what all needs to be replaced to rebuild the bottom end?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st, I'd take a stethoscope and see if I can figure out where the knock is coming from, rod or main bearings? If you already know, then you should research a new/reman short block as apposed to possibly needing oversized pistons/rings as well as bearings, etc.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st, I'd take a stethoscope and see if I can figure out where the knock is coming from, rod or main bearings? If you already know, then you should research a new/reman short block as apposed to possibly needing oversized pistons/rings as well as bearings, etc.
Im not sure what it is yet. Im gonna take it to a shop down the road tomorrow and see what he thinks it is and is it likely that I’m gonna have to put bigger pistons ect in?