4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’ll start by saying I have a new actuator (electric type not thermal) and the on the floor selector. These all work. The problem arrives when the actuator “actuates”. You can hear it wine but it’s almost like it keeps bouncing off the shift fork inside the axle housing for lack of a better description. I’ve had the whole thing apart and put it back together and it worked for a while till my actuator went out and I replaced it. Then it worked about a month longer (didn’t really use it but checked on it by throwing it in 4wd every once in a while). I like to figure out it’s broken before it’s snowing… anyway we’re supposed to get snow tommorrow and it won’t engage now. It actuates per the whining but acts like it’s bouncing off like I said and yes I rolled forward slow and tried shifting in and out. No give. Anyone know why/if the internals on these lock up on these often?

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
If this truck had the thermal actuator originally and was swapped with the kit to the motor drive type, you may be missing a part. The kit gave you the actuator, the wires with plug and a disc about the size of a nickel but a little wider. That disc needs to be in the actuator hole because the motor drive actuator doesn't move as far.

Check to make sure there is a disc in the hole.