4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trethen29

Reaction score
I need help my transfer case keeps slipping into neutral when I go over a bump idk if I should either delete the hole system or convert to push button 4x4 but I need an np241c transfer case

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Need some more info. NP241 is a great transfer case. being a manual shift TC its only downfall is the front acuator in the diff. a swap you would need a NP243 or 6 transfer case and a TCCM . Not even sure how you would get it to communicate with a older 700r4 which i assume you have.

IF your transfer case keeps slipping out of drive it could be the latch paw for the transfer case itself . do you not have any drive and its in 4wd or does the handle physically move out of the selected range?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the t-case goes into neutral over bumps, you've got other problems.

The floor mounted shifter should stay in place as its bolted to the cab floor. The t-case does ride on rubber mounts, but there shouldn't be much movement. If there is, change the mount.

Next is the body mounts. If they're allowing the cab to move away from the t-case, that would be dangerous. You're gonna need some serious repair.

Just converting it to electric doesn't diagnose the real problem.

Find and fix that first.

Trethen29

Reaction score
Need some more info. NP241 is a great transfer case. being a manual shift TC its only downfall is the front acuator in the diff. a swap you would need a NP243 or 6 transfer case and a TCCM . Not even sure how you would get it to communicate with a older 700r4 which i assume you have.

IF your transfer case keeps slipping out of drive it could be the latch paw for the transfer case itself . do you not have any drive and its in 4wd or does the handle physically move out of the selected range?
I leave my transfer case in 2-hi all the time for city and highway driving when I go over the slightest bump at any speed it jumps upwards into neutral and I lose power to the wheels

Trethen29

Reaction score

The floor mounted shifter should stay in place as its bolted to the cab floor. The t-case does ride on rubber mounts, but there shouldn't be much movement. If there is, change the mount.

Next is the body mounts. If they're allowing the cab to move away from the t-case, that would be dangerous. You're gonna need some serious repair.

Find and fix that first.
It’s just the selector for my transfer case

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not possible. The positions are:
4x4 Lo
Neutral
2wd
4x4 Hi

So, if you pull back from 2wd to 4x4, a bump in the road will never send the t-case 2 notches forward, past 2wd to N.

You MUST have some other problem. Find and diagnose it.

So try this. Find the "spot" where the false shift can be recreated. Put it in 4x4, drive over the "bump" and see if it goes into 2wd.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it does move through the ranges, without driver input, there has to be a reason. A bad mount is the likely reason. Go find it.

The bump in the road is the cause

The _______ is the problem you need to find

The unwanted shift to neutral is the effect

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
A quick determination to see if its a flex issue in the body is unbolt the linkage and drive it. if it doesnt happen you have a linkage problem either by movement or binding.

If you unbolt it and it continues to happen its more than likely a bad fork engagement issue. over time the forks can wear down causing them to slip. ( it has to be extremely worn) and this might cause the fork to slip out of the detent

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As @DonYukon stated. The 241 is a great case. They're nearly bulletproof...
Theres one in my '88 rotbox GMC, there's one that I'm replacing in my '89 (going to full time AWD).

Trethen29

Reaction score

Find and fix that first.
I checked my t case mounts they are fine idk what the issue is I bought the truck with the t case like that as I later found out the guy I bought it from and never told me about it