4WD TO AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1LEG

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum.

I will be getting my Dads 93 1500 regcab shortbed 4wd, He passed away a few months ago. I don't have a need for anouther 4wd, i have a 89 suburban 4wd. My Dad and i both are into race and street cars. So i was thinking about building this truck into a street/strip truck. I was wondering if anyone has swap a AWD transfer case into a 4wd truck and what would i need to d? I did a search on this forum and couldn't find anything. I was also planning a 3/4 drop and a disk brake swap in the back. In the future it will get a vortec 383. if i could get it to run 13s with the TBI i would be happy.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You might also want to look at the AWD Astro van's transfer case. I don't know anything about them, except that it's the same as the ones in the Syclone/Typhoon's, & I've seen those run in the 10's. What they do to the transfer case to take that kind of power, I don't know, but there must be some info somewhere. I'd try one of those forums.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Another choice would be to look at the Old Glory steel-cased NP-203's from back in the day. They were the pre-cursor to the electronic awd t-cases.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the NP149 used in the silverado SS. The Astro/Syclone/Typhone are the wrong bolt pattern. The escalades and denalis use a BW4481 which is basically like an open differential with no torque splitting, they used the ABS to control individual braking and stop wheel spin. The NP149 has the viscous coupling which differentiates the power front and rear.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yeah look up project red tide on youtube

Eric hasn't been on the forum since July/17.
He's on F/B though. Eric St. Germain.
He finally got his truck back on the road this past summer. First time in about 7 years. He did a nice job!
Don't think he'd want to tear it apart to do this mod now, though! Lol!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
must have found this thread on a google search or something. talk about digging up the grave for no reason.