97 K1500 AWD Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coronitas

Reaction score
Whats up fellas,

Recently did an AWD swap on my 97 K1500, and am having issues with my transmission now.
The truck is originally 4x4, and we swapped over the AWD drivetrain from a newer Silverado SS.

Front diff, rear axle, and transfer case. Everything was pretty much plug and play, but now my speedo is not working and nor is my trans shifting.
I kept the same trans just changed the TC, I assumed I could splice the right connector to the VSS on the new TC, and it would work, but had no luck.

Im not to knowledgeable on wiring, so any help would be great

Attachments

• 1680726291409.png
    1680726291409.png
    1 MB · Views: 22

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you depin the connectors and repin them according to the wire diagrams. Or did you just cut and crimp splice on some unions?

coronitas

Reaction score
Did you depin the connectors and repin them according to the wire diagrams. Or did you just cut and crimp splice on some unions?
So the AWD transfer case has a different 2 pin connector, and I just bought the correct pigtail, and cut and crimp spliced it to the old ones wiring.
I did both variations on the wires, when one didnt work, i cut and switched them, and still didnt work either.

coronitas

Reaction score
Im curious if it has anything to do with the electronic 4 Hi and 4 Lo controls.
Like if im supposed to trick the computer into thinking Ive got it in 4WD mode or something.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd look in the computer with scan tool,pull any codes first. Scan the trans what does it see, what's missing. Did you do any research into what's different, what's the same? Is the trans in " limp mode"? Did you recheck your wiring?
Speedo not working, at first guess, you touched it and did something wrong.
I'm gonna do this on another Tahoe, but gonna do research first. And understand wiring inputs and such.
What year swap parts did you use, when I get a chance I'll look in serv manual, now done with jury duty. :3811797817_8d685371

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The " Power nation Truck " guys did this swap, I wonder if that's where he got the idea.
I thought this would a good project for my Tahoe.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read the original post, then came the pic of the truck. I lost all thot processes because that is one beautiful truck. I hope it has the power to back up the looks. Sweet ride! Add in awd, it's perfection!
OP- you owe me a keyboard, mine is covered in drool!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP hasn't been here since may, I certainly hope they come back and fill us in on that awesome build!!!! And if the issue is fixed of course.

Tahoe SS

Reaction score
OP hasn't been here since may, I certainly hope they come back and fill us in on that awesome build!!!! And if the issue is fixed of course.
Sure hope so too,
I am currently in this same predicament with my 97 tahoe