4wd issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would bet money that the shop didn't clean the caliper guide pins, pin boots, caliper where the guide pins insert, and then grease the caliper guide pins and the boots with silicone grease. And if that is not done, given enough time — we're talking decades — there will be metal-on-metal contact between the pins and the calipers, and that is going to cause brake problems (described as “sticking calipers”).

If I were you, time to disassemble your brakes and inspect. Your life is on the line, literally.

I use Honda silicone grease P/N 08C30-B0234M for lubricating caliper slide pins and the boot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cleaning all the components properly is another process entirely.
The parking brake light doubles as a brake system warning light too. It will turn on when the brake proportioning valve moves. This happens when a brake line part or cylinder leaks. Also can happen with air in the system. As stated, please check your brakes.
Awesome. Thank you guys for the information. Looks like i'll be doing Rears AND front disassembly. I think i'm also going to get front stainless lifted brake lines, the lines they replaced at the shop were just stock rubber lines and I think they're just real tight.

You'd think for $500+ bucks the fronts would be solid.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you guys for the information. Looks like i'll be doing Rears AND front disassembly. I think i'm also going to get front stainless lifted brake lines, the lines they replaced at the shop were just stock rubber lines and I think they're just real tight.

You'd think for $500+ bucks the fronts would be solid.
Just an FYI, the metal tubing is a “brake line.” The rubber tubing is a “brake hose.”

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, the roughness when turning with 4WD engaged is totally normal. It would have to be raining spectacularly hard before I'd engage 4WD.

Pedal going to the floor (especially with no obvious loss of brake fluid) and then "healing" later on sounds like a defective master cylinder.

The parking brake light doubles as a brake system warning light too. It will turn on when the brake proportioning valve moves.
The proportioning valve has nothing to do with the safety switch, other than both are part of the Combination valve (along with the metering/holdoff valve).

It's the safety switch, not the proportioning valve that turns on the dash warning light.

Just an FYI, the metal tubing is a “brake line.” The rubber tubing is a “brake hose.”
I think of "lines" as imaginary objects representing the shortest distance between two points.

I usually remember to call metal plumbing "brake (or fuel, or transmission cooler, or air, etc.) tubing"; and the flexible sections "brake (or fuel, or transmission cooler, or air, etc.) hose(s)".

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As said, the roughness when turning with 4WD engaged is totally normal. It would have to be raining spectacularly hard before I'd engage 4WD.

Pedal going to the floor (especially with no obvious loss of brake fluid) and then "healing" later on sounds like a defective master cylinder.

The proportioning valve has nothing to do with the safety switch, other than both are part of the Combination valve (along with the metering/holdoff valve).

It's the safety switch, not the proportioning valve that turns on the dash warning light.

I think of "lines" as imaginary objects representing the shortest distance between two points.

I usually remember to call metal plumbing "brake (or fuel, or transmission cooler, or air, etc.) tubing"; and the flexible sections "brake (or fuel, or transmission cooler, or air, etc.) hose(s)".
I just ordered a new MC, I was going to do the NBS MC but I remembered a response you gave me a while back and returned it for the regular MC. I also ordered 3"-6" lift stainless hoses for the front because i don't know if mine are too tight when turning the wheel. And i ordered a brake light switch, because it was like 4 bucks and the one i have in there now engages IMMEDIATELY. Almost like even hovering over the pedal turns the lights on. Not that i think it's a bad thing, but i have a rpm bounce at highway speed issue that i read somewhere may be addressed with replacing the switch.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new MC, I was going to do the NBS MC but I remembered a response you gave me a while back and returned it for the regular MC.
Wisdom.

And i ordered a brake light switch, because it was like 4 bucks and the one i have in there now engages IMMEDIATELY. Almost like even hovering over the pedal turns the lights on. Not that i think it's a bad thing, but i have a rpm bounce at highway speed issue that i read somewhere may be addressed with replacing the switch.
When the brake switch senses pedal movement, it turns on the brake lights and also affects other systems--the cruise control and the torque converter clutch would both disengage. The switch may or may not be "adjustable".

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wisdom.

When the brake switch senses pedal movement, it turns on the brake lights and also affects other systems--the cruise control and the torque converter clutch would both disengage. The switch may or may not be "adjustable".
Welp
they sent me a brake PRESSURE switch. Not the brake light switch. The only video I could find on that is for an 97 astro van. I can't even find what it does. Trying to decide weather to replace it or return it