4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright gonna give this a shot dont know how many folks are over here yet but its worth a try. I just bought a 94 chevy k2500, I have not personally seen the truck but the seller told me it has transmisson problems. The trans has about 265k on it if that makes much difference.
All he was able to tell me was that it starts to slip when the truck gets warm, and that he thinks it is the trans pump. I was wondering what to look for to help diagnose whats up with this dang thing. I am going to have my buddy check out the truck when it is delivered today around 12pm central time. Being that I am in Iraq I am going to be trouble shooting as the middle man. Is there some common things that go out on these transmission that I should have looked at first? Also due to the mileage do yall think it is even worth just replacing whats wrong or should I just go for a full rebuild? Sorry for the lack of info but thats all I have as of now, if you have any questions of me please ask and I will do my best to find out.

thArf

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for serving for our country! I think that if you're going to keep the truck stock or close to it you can just get a 4l80e out of a junkyard for cheap. I'd say you could probably find a really low mileage one for 500-800 and just do a swap, I bet you get some money for your old tranny too.

If you want to beat on the truck, Finish Line Transmissions makes really good stuff. www.finishlinetrans.com

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I have been duped! The 3/4 I was buying turned out to be a 1/2 ton with a 3/4ton rear that's all. I guess that's good though 4l60s seem easier to get though. I am thinking I will just have it rebuilt guy back home does rebuilds for about 500 dollars.

As for what I plan on doing I would love to make it look like your ********* truck but I need a daily driver. So I am thinking a 33s but would prefer 35s. I am sure the 4l60 can hold up to that anyways. I don't do any real off roading, most I can imagine would be going down some old logging roads to get to some hunting ground.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's something to think about regarding the 4L60E and the 4L80E.
Here in Australia...GM put the 60E in our local branded family sedan, wagon, ute.
These vehicles are nowhere near as heavy as the pickups or SUV's you guys have....and they still blow them to bits.
If you never plan on modifying your vehicle in any way that puts more stress on the trans (FI, bigger wheels, tyres...etc) and you drive like an old woman (or...as you guys call them...soccer Mom's), then the 60E will last.......longer.
If you make ANY performance mods or put ANY extra strain/stress on the trans....be prepared to keep throwing $$$ at it....FOR EVER.
80E is an EASY swap and a ONE TIME payment. The trans can handle ALOT more power (in stock form) than the 60E and will give you piece of mind.
You have the 14bolt rear....so you're half way there (that's the other weak point).

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
if you get a built 4l60 it will hold up just as well as a 80, the 80 weights more and loses more power from the crank out the outshaft

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
I have heard of very few 80E's letting go.
For 60E's...even 'fully built' units...it's a common occurrence once power adders come into the picture.
The 80E has forged/solid internals...the 60E has thin, pressed metal internals. Hence the diference in weight.
80E with Transgo HD2 shift kit.....never another issue!

1BAD9T7

Reaction score
The 80 is a far better transmission. True, the 80 is heavier, has not as low of first gear, etc, but for durability, you can't compare a 60 to an 80. The swap is not a simple remove/ replace swap, but is worth while if the added strength is needed. That I have found, the easiest way to control (electronic control) the 80 is by a stand alone computer which is approx. 1000.00 so that is a downside of the swap. If a trans has to be rebuilt anyway, just look at buying the controller as money spent on the rebuild...

Jason

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weight difference from 60e to 80e is all of 60lbs. I really don't see why that's everybodies first issue when we're talking about fullsize trucks with full glass, doors, passenger seats and spares, etc.

As far as the short first, it's only a problem if you don't want to drop money on the deeper gearset. I've seen the 2.75:1 set go for $225 on ebay even.