4l80 not shifting 2nd to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ginoz28

Reaction score
I bought a 97 7.4 crewcab dually and it doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd so I bought this to bypass computer and sensors. I had a 93 extended cab dually that I had hell with the trans not shifting and wanted to narrow it down to the basics on this one. The seller says it doesn't need the two speed sensors or computer to work. It still doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd after this. What else will it need to shift, is it only the solenoids that are making the it shift?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ginoz28

Reaction score
It has reviews that it works. You have to manually shift up and down. Its not a computer controlled it doesn't shifts like the stocker and "fast" type.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the trans might be in limp mode due to something like a bad input speed sensor. There’s several other things that can cause it also. Got a buddy with a good scanner or tuning software?

ginoz28

Reaction score
No scanner. But if this module is bypassing the sensors it should shift without it.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that thing is doing what it says it is then I guess I would say you’re correct and the next thing to look at is the 2-3 solenoid. If you don’t have reverse I’d say you might have a bad direct clutch.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Reverse is working. The truck shifts from 1-2 good and 2-3 nothing and 3-4 nothing. From the chart it looks like the 2-3 solenoid needs to be energized so 3rd and 4th will engage. It looks like that will be a bad solenoid or is there something else inside the trans that tells the solenoid to energize. I dont want to open it and change the solenoid and it be another part that I could have changed while I have it open.
Thanks for the chart

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at that chart a 2-3 solenoid seems like a slam dunk. You can ohm both from the PCM plug to give reassurance before going in as well. If it were a 4L60 I'd say you were looking at a smoked clutch pack, but the 80 is different.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Going to order solenoid and hope for the best. If its that I can plug the stock harness back in and back to regular shifting.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Maybe this