4l60e transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannyidp

Reaction score
I have a 1995 k1500 with the 4l60e transmission that I am fixing to rebuild.I purchased a kit online with the borg warner frictions.my question is I was talked into the 1998 kit with the molded pistons will this work or am I going to have some issues? I have rebuilt a Honda transmission but this is my first chevy.

Thanks for any and all input.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about the valve body spacer plate gasket. 4L60E are all the same as far as I know. 700R4 had two different plate gaskets depending on auxulary valve body or not. The molded pistons are an upgrade as the aluminum ones like to crack. The stock front pump should be 11 vanes, upgraded I believe is 13.

http://transmissionbench.com/4L60Evideos.html

Rocco

Reaction score
The 4l60e has a couple of different plate gaskets. If the kit was for a 98 you're good. The change was in 2001 again changed in around 06 but not exaclty sure on the date. Most kits come with 2 sets of gaskets, use the ones without the white or yellow line or the ones that have 1 letter ( C for case and V for valve body) .
Pumps go from 7 vane in the early 700r4 up to 86 then to 10 vane up to around 97, but have seen some 96 pumps that are 13 vane , then 13 vane that doesn't pump anymore fluid but keeps pressure from fluctuating but are weaker because there are more cuts in the rotor to accommodate more rotor blades. I have put 10 vane rotors in a 13 vane pump if I knew the person had some power and a high stall because they didn't want to buy a new 100 dollar billet rotor ( Which most of the time is a 10 vane anyway )

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1995 k1500 with the 4l60e transmission that I am fixing to rebuild.I purchased a kit online with the borg warner frictions.my question is I was talked into the 1998 kit with the molded pistons will this work or am I going to have some issues? I have rebuilt a Honda transmission but this is my first chevy.

Thanks for any and all input.
You talking about the 3-4 apply piston? It'll work but you'll need a newer style spring cage.
This should tell you what you need to know. I hope.

Rocco

Reaction score
You talking about the 3-4 apply piston? It'll work but you'll need a newer style spring cage.
This should tell you what you need to know. I hope.
Good catch honkon, it's the spring that goes on top of the overrun piston, the old piston has nipples for the open ended spring cage to go on and the new bonded piston doesn't.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the valve body spacer plate gasket. 4L60E are all the same as far as I know. 700R4 had two different plate gaskets depending on auxulary valve body or not. The molded pistons are an upgrade as the aluminum ones like to crack. The stock front pump should be 11 vanes, upgraded I believe is 13.

http://transmissionbench.com/4L60Evideos.html

That is incorrect, 95 has a specific one year only separator plate.

Rocco

Reaction score
That is incorrect, 95 has a specific one year only separator plate.
retorq , You are correct in the 95 having a year specific valve body plate but the rebuild kit separator gasket set accommodates for that as I have said in my previous comment abougt them going to 01, thank you for your input but to much information on a subject that only requires minimal input to clarify an objective could be convoluted and hamper an objective.