4l60e TC shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon Stout

Reaction score
I have a 1997 k1500 that had a terrible O/D shudder. Replaced torque converter and did a filter and fluid change as well. Now about a month later it is coming back slowly but surely. Shouldn't be a miss but anything is possible. Doesn't happen when running 70 on interstate only at about 45 mph or 1200-1300 rpm

New long block 350 with 4,000 miles but with original intake system

Jasper transmission with roughly 60k on it

New distributor

New coil

New plugs

New wires

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue, however I think my engine and transmission are original to the truck (190K, not sure about rebuilds though). If I’m cruising at 45 I usually put it in 3rd, but it would be nice to actually fix the problem rather than hide it. Like your truck, O/D is fine at 70. Even once I get to about 55 it stays in nice and smooth. I thought it was a miss at first until I tried driving it in 3rd.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1997 k1500 that had a terrible O/D shudder. Replaced torque converter and did a filter and fluid change as well. Now about a month later it is coming back slowly but surely. Shouldn't be a miss but anything is possible. Doesn't happen when running 70 on interstate only at about 45 mph or 1200-1300 rpm

New distributor

New coil

New plugs

New wires

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE

Hey, you came! Hopefully this site will give you more info!

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

New distributor

New coil

New plugs

New wires

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine came back from a transmission rebuild with a reman TC installed and did not have a shudder going in but had one after the reman TC was installed. They had to pull it back out and warranty TC. They will try to convince you a friction modifier "Snake oil"
will cure it ! But it did not help mine and they did the right thing and made it good.

Brandon Stout

Reaction score
The tranny was put in before my dad bought the truck in '08 and I have done everything else since then. Motor, torque converter and everything else. Friction modifier was used to identify that yes I actually do have a TC shudder which was when I replaced it along with Fluid and filter change while I was there. Really don't want to fight the tranny out again but if I have to get the TC warrantied then that's what I have to do. But I was wondering why it would've went out on a new tranny to begin with. There must be an underlying issue causing the TC issue

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tranny was put in before my dad bought the truck in '08 and I have done everything else since then. Motor, torque converter and everything else. Friction modifier was used to identify that yes I actually do have a TC shudder which was when I replaced it along with Fluid and filter change while I was there. Really don't want to fight the tranny out again but if I have to get the TC warrantied then that's what I have to do. But I was wondering why it would've went out on a new tranny to begin with. There must be an underlying issue causing the TC issue
If you read forums on these transmissions and torque converters it is endless reading and usually many of the same issues with no definite solutions.. Or you read it until it disappears from the board and you don't know if they actually got to the bottom of the problem or just never came back to re-post the solution. Good luck

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Was just about to ask if this is my problem. 98 k1500. Horrible at 45 but highway is tolerable. I figured it out accidentally while out on a ride. Had truck in 3rd on dirt roads n forgot to put it in od while runnin 60 when i had to hit a main road. After bout 3 miles i realized it never shuddered. Hopin it doesnt fail before i get another motor n trans.
Think im safe changin fluid n filter or should i just deal with it for now?

Last edited: