4L60E swap from a 2000 K1500 to a 1996 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TowTruckChuck

Reaction score
So I did search, about 80 pages, in this section and can't find any real help.

I have a 1996 K1500 that had an older 350 SBC transplanted into it with the original 4L60E. The typical failure of the 3/4 clutches I was given a rebuilt 4L60E out of a 2000.

What I am initially seeing is that the converter is the bigger 300mm and it won't (obviously) bolt up to the flexplate.

Has anybody done this swap before? (I have to imagine I am not the only one that has wanted to do this)

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
00+ tranny has different valve body and controls from pre 00. So it could not work or work not properly even if you install it

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were they? I think the pump was different, but in a good way with more vanes for the LS motors. Couldn't he swap over torque converter and valve body?

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the torque converters are not interchangeable, the bell housings won't lineup (there is an adaptor plate to convert the LS bolt pattern to the old style blocks), but I'm pretty sure the new ones used a stand alone tcm. You could look into swapping the valve bodies and solenoids from old to new, keeping the old electronics that will plug into your harness- but I'd look very carefully into it before trying (don't forget the gasket between the valve body and transmission case!) Another thought would be to swap the bell housings- old bell on the new transmission, see if the new torque converter would fit

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can't swap bells, input is different isn't it? Forgot about that when I mentioned swapping converters.