4l60e clunks when shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
This might sound weird, but has the transmission been rebuilt? If so, it might have a shift package of some sort. Just throwing that out there- a firm, solid shift might be called a "clunk" or a "jolt" :shrug:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Has your truck had any suspension work/mods done to it? My blue truck has a 2/4 drop, & I've had to play with the pinion angle by adding shims. It's had the U-bolts on the rear end/leafs re-&-re'd more than once. The time before last, I had a friend helping out. After that, the truck developed a 'clunk'. (the truck's a stick, so sometimes the shifts aren't as easy on the drivetrain as an auto) Went to change the shims from a 2.5* to 4* yesterday, & DAMN!, 2 nuts on the u-bolts on the passenger side were a little more than finger tight!!! Don't know if it was me or the other guy that did that, or if the rear center pin wasn't seated properly when it was put together, & it settled into place after being driven for a bit. But, after the install of the 4* shims, I made sure that everything was TIGHT!!! Put 60 miles on the truck, then I hit those u-bolts again with an impact. No more 'clunk'.

Dust92

Night Owl
Reaction score
I don't think the Trans has ever been rebuilt, but I will check the universals soon. Thanks!
I know where Sadlers truck stop is! Lol I work with a lot of people from emporia and skippers.