4l60e clunks when shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dust92

Night Owl
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a 94 gmc with the 4l60e and it clunks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It isn't smooth at all. Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks for the answers in advance.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It clunks? I would imagine if a Trans is clunking something is about to give out...........

Sent from somewhere in MN

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Check transmission and engine mounts before going into it further....

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did that but only did it after being on the interstate for maybe at least 5-10 miles or just steadily going for maybe 20 minutes without stopping. I was able to stop it by pulling over and get to a stop sign/light and turn it off for a few seconds, then when I cranked it back up it shifted perfect. I went to the local transmission shop I forgot what they said exactly but they said it would have to be rebuilt to fix it. Well now it's out so I need it rebuilt for sure. So does yours do it all the time or after the transmission heated up some? If it's all the time then it's probably a mount like "great white" said. If it's after it heats up some then it's something in the transmission and will eventually need to be rebuilt.

Dust92

Night Owl
Reaction score
Do y'all think it may be because it has the tow package?
Btw SilveradoGuy85, you anywhere near Ahoskie, NC?