4l60e 1-2 shift accumulator help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrayT

Reaction score
hello,

1996 vortec 5.7 and 4l60e swaped into 85 squarebody

from a stop it feels like the trans is slipping? or hesitating then mabey shifting back and forth between first and second gear very quickly or a hard shift from first and second. all other gears shift normally and if I manually shift it from first to second its fine.

I thought it might be the 1-2 shift accumulator so I dropped the pan and pulled it. Should the piston come out of the housing? I can hear rattling if i shake it but i cant see the spring or get the piston out of the housing

any thought or advice appreciated,
thanks

NickG80

Reaction score
Use air to blow it out, possibly the spring broke. It’s not uncommon.

GrayT

Reaction score
I used air to blow it out and both springs were intact, everything looked brand new. I went to the junkyard and got another accumulator out of a wrecked truck and installed it and all the problems went away. Comparatively the piston of the bad one felt a lot stiffer and tighter in the bore but I could still press it down with my fingers and it returned to the up position. I guess since they are so cheap its just worth it to replace if any symptoms come up.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used air to blow it out and both springs were intact, everything looked brand new. I went to the junkyard and got another accumulator out of a wrecked truck and installed it and all the problems went away. Comparatively the piston of the bad one felt a lot stiffer and tighter in the bore but I could still press it down with my fingers and it returned to the up position. I guess since they are so cheap its just worth it to replace if any symptoms come up.
The plastic pistons are junk. Grab a metal one from a 700R4 if you ever have to go back into it. Was the plastic piston cracked?