4l60 torque converter lockup kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

field57

Reaction score
I was wondering if a lockup kit is a good thing to have for towing. I have a 92 k1500 that I tow a camper with that weighs nearly 6,000lbs. I can't keep the torque converter locked on the highway most of time. Any slight wind or incline it unlocks. I also have a trans temp gauge with the sender in the pan and I have seen temps around 210. If I go really easy (about 50mph) it will stay locked and maintain temps around 175-180. So is it worth installing one of these kits? Would sure be nice to hit a switch and keep it locked while driving 60mph. Thanks.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't try that. Not saying it wouldn't work though. It would put a ton of pressure on the converter clutch though. Do you have a nice sized external cooler? I would try cooling the trans by a different means that tricking the converter to stay on. Maybe a deep pan, new synthetic fluid, or a drop cooler.

field57

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I did it and it seems to work fine. I didn't think the old tbi would be overly hard on the converter clutch just because it is a fairly gutless engine?

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd just tow in 3rd and deal with the marginally worse fuel economy. Seems like these trucks get 10MPG no matter what you're towing or how fast.

field57

Reaction score
Ya you are right about the fuel economy thing and I always did tow in 3rd but when the converter stays unlocked I was just building way too much heat in a short amount of time. When it is locked it stays nice and cool.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I would have had a trans temp gauge when I towed my 5700# car trailer from Utah to North Dakota. Pulled it at 55MPH in 3rd the whole way, but all I know is that it didn't burn the fluid.

Do you have the factory trans cooler?

field57

Reaction score
The cooler I have is a fairly large one that a previous owner installed. I do have a gauge and was hitting 215 degree pan temperatures for long periods of time. If i was able to keep it locked it would stay around 175.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know when I adjust my TV cable, I can adjust out the early unlocking of the converter. Might just need an adjustment so it unlocks at a greater throttle opening.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man mine won't get over 12 going down hill haha. Yeah don't let her get far over 225 for sure. What type of kit did you go with?

field57

Reaction score
I just bought a decent 2 pole toggle switch and wired it myself.
Took about 30 min taking my time to try do a good job on it.