454 vortech has no throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp installed new distributor looks ten times better. Started it up. Ran like check engine light was on. Went to advance to check the obd2 18 codes. Wow. Everything I unplugged to get the intake off was saying it was bad. So I went through all my wires . Found I swapped cyl 6 with cyl 8 on the capbswapped that out started it up . Boom. Runs great. Took a second and you could hear the computer fixing issues just ran better and better. But always a but. Still has thay surging feel at acceleration like its running out of gas. Or air in the fuel lines. So onto changing fuel filter checking fuel pressure. Then go from there..

Would post pictures but says over my limit

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Welp installed new distributor looks ten times better. Started it up. Ran like check engine light was on. Went to advance to check the obd2 18 codes. Wow. Everything I unplugged to get the intake off was saying it was bad. So I went through all my wires . Found I swapped cyl 6 with cyl 8 on the capbswapped that out started it up . Boom. Runs great. Took a second and you could hear the computer fixing issues just ran better and better. But always a but. Still has thay surging feel at acceleration like its running out of gas. Or air in the fuel lines. So onto changing fuel filter checking fuel pressure. Then go from there..

Would post pictures but says over my limit

What brand cap and rotor did you use? I've heard rumors here and there that anything but the Delco (or Delphi) will cause a bit of a stumble. I don't know if it's true, I've only ever used Delco parts, so I'm not sure what others act like. Seems dumb but you never know.

Good call on the fuel filter, it's always a good idea anyways if you don't know exactly how long its been since you did it last

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=220748594836

This is the one I bought and installed.

Same one I've bought many times, it's a good dizzy and will last. I switched the cap and rotor out before I ever started the trucks I installed them in though. I have OCD (Obsessive Chevrolet Driver) and like to have my systems match up. Since I ran Delco plugs, wires, coil, and module on the trucks I installed it in, I wanted my cap and rotor matched up too lol

Change your fuel filter and check your pressure first though. No sense in spending the money if the $12 filter is the culprit

Also (and I know its a pain in the ass), make sure your plugs are all gapped correctly. I don't remember if you said you replaced them, but maybe you bumped one accidentally and closed the gap a little bit? Also could be fouled from how it was running, especially since you drove it.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have not check those yet. Plan on just replacing those to. No point in doing half a tune up. So tomorrow will be new fuel filter and new plugs. Fuel pressure check and possibly fpr if im feeling patient . Ha

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Good idea. If you're taking them out might as well do it all right? Maybe should have done the fpr while you had the intake off...
I'd use Delco plugs if I were you. I've tried NGK, AutoLite, Bosch, Champion, and E3. Delco has always run the best. The E3s are great in carbureted vehicles though

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I know kickin my self in the ass for not changing that ha. The only pain with taking thay off thi was the egr pipe. I want to delete that as well.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Possible with a tune. I'm in the process of swapping my 454 in now and doing a 411 PCM swap as well. Going to have them delete the EGR, AIR, and Knock Sensors

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive read I can do the egr pipe delete and sometimes it will throw the code sometime it wont. Also taking the intak silencer off.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And just a friendly reminder. Vortec is spelled without an H. Vortech is a supercharger :gr_grin:

Sorry, I just see that EVERYWHERE on GM forums and it drives me nuts haha