454 vortech has no throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
You may have accidentally bumped the fuel pressure regulator, knocked off the vac tube to it, messed with the connection on control module, or cut or pinched a fuel line somehow. They're all back there by the distributor. I've got my L29 sitting on the floor behind me right now and that's all I can see it could be as far as accidental.

I know that on the 5.7 if you see fuel puddling up on the lower intake then it's usually the fuel pressure regulator. I would assume the 7.4 would be the same. The springs inside them break and they get stuck open, and send way more fuel to the motor than it can handle. That would defiantly cause the issues your having. And of course the regulator is post schrader valve, so the only way to test it is to pull the upper intake.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
check each wire for spark, then go from there.

Go get an inline spark tester. Best tool to use for this. They only cost a few bucks at any autoparts store.

Also double check all the gap on your plugs. My dad replaced all the plugs on his 6.0 and ended up with a misfire. Turns out somehow he bumped the end of the plug when he was installing it and the plug had no gap.

This could also be a timing issue. With the OBD II Vortec the timing has to be set with a scan tool. Turning the distributor does nothing. Any shop should be able to re-time one of these motors in about 10 minutes. I think my local one charged me $40 after I replaced my distributor. Again this was on a 5.7 but I would assume the 7.4 would be the same for this.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant get the exhaust tune off the upper intake. I dont eant to break it . Can not get it to break loose. Ive turned both ways only thing keeping me from getting the upper intake off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Go get an inline spark tester. Best tool to use for this. They only cost a few bucks at any autoparts store.

Also double check all the gap on your plugs. My dad replaced all the plugs on his 6.0 and ended up with a misfire. Turns out somehow he bumped the end of the plug when he was installing it and the plug had no gap.

This could also be a timing issue. With the OBD II Vortec the timing has to be set with a scan tool. Turning the distributor does nothing. Any shop should be able to re-time one of these motors in about 10 minutes. I think my local one charged me $40 after I replaced my distributor. Again this was on a 5.7 but I would assume the 7.4 would be the same for this.

I've set many Vortec distributors with no scan tool...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I cant get the exhaust tune off the upper intake. I dont eant to break it . Can not get it to break loose. Ive turned both ways only thing keeping me from getting the upper intake off.

Hold the one on the intake and left loosey the one on the tube itself. Get some PB Blaster or SeaFoam Deep Creep spray and soak it. I deal with submerged and buried fittings on a daily basis and those are my go-to loosener sprays

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I know that on the 5.7 if you see fuel puddling up on the lower intake then it's usually the fuel pressure regulator. I would assume the 7.4 would be the same. The springs inside them break and they get stuck open, and send way more fuel to the motor than it can handle. That would defiantly cause the issues your having. And of course the regulator is post schrader valve, so the only way to test it is to pull the upper intake.

You can remove the regulator without removing the intake. It's difficult, but doable, you'll need angled snap-ring pliers. The regulator sits next to the distributor on a 7.4, pre-schrader. What I meant when I said he should check it is to check if he accidentally bumped the vac line off when he was changing wires. While absolutely possible, it's probably unlikely the regulator went bad while he did the tune-up

Brick, if you can, stick a fuel pressure tester on it, the valve is sticking out the front of the intake, behind the oil fill and thermostat housing, above the MAP sensor

Last edited:

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a distributor and a new set of injectors also a new fpr just feel it can do nothing but help . 210k miles on old parts so.
I had the egr pipe soaking over night in some pb blaster

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I bought a distributor and a new set of injectors also a new fpr just feel it can do nothing but help . 210k miles on old parts so.
I had the egr pipe soaking over night in some pb blaster

Good to hear you're on top of it, most people are "ahhhhh what do I do?" and just sit and wait for answers

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha well never done a distributor on this big of a motor just several 5.0's more room and its in the front so was kinda iffy but research and all you guys answers helped out. And common sense kinda to change whatever I can while all broken down.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Haha well never done a distributor on this big of a motor just several 5.0's more room and its in the front so was kinda iffy but research and all you guys answers helped out. And common sense kinda to change whatever I can while all broken down.

Giggity