454 to 6.5 TD swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What fuel injection system are you using? As a reminder, the stock TBI has constant power and the ECM switches the ground on each injector.

If you keep spraying starting fluid (little squirts!) does it keep running?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped a 6.5 truck to a 454 and seem to recall just plugging everything in and it starting right up. I had to get creative to plug in the dash harness so the cluster would work properly, but just getting it to run I believe was plug and play. The C100 stayed the same throughout all the years.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
What fuel injection system are you using? As a reminder, the stock TBI has constant power and the ECM switches the ground on each injector.

If you keep spraying starting fluid (little squirts!) does it keep running?
94 tbi fuel system it is the one that use the 25or28-32 psi high flow/high pressure fuel pump and 90lbph injectors. yes if I spray it it will start and if I keep spraying it will stay running till you stop spraying if you crank on the engine with noid light there is no injector pulse

99xcss4

Reaction score
I swapped a 6.5 truck to a 454 and seem to recall just plugging everything in and it starting right up. I had to get creative to plug in the dash harness so the cluster would work properly, but just getting it to run I believe was plug and play. The C100 stayed the same throughout all the years.
what is c100 I put a gas cluster in and at seems to work

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
what is c100 I put a gas cluster in and at seems to work

C100 is the bigass firewall connector. Your cluster works because TBI and diesel used the same dash plugs, I put a Vortec in place of a 6.5 and the newer diesels kept the older dash plugs.

99xcss4

Reaction score
oh I have been calling that a junction box I was told this by user

someotherguy that it is best to stick with 92-94 harnesses even though gas engine harness plugs in to diesel fire wall plug I am guessing they are not pined the same I guess it is safe to assume that gas and diesel fuse boxes are also not pined alike

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

someotherguy that it is best to stick with 92-94 harnesses even though gas engine harness plugs in to diesel fire wall plug I am guessing they are not pined the same I guess it is safe to assume that gas and diesel fuse boxes are also not pined alike

I went through the diagrams eons ago and some have pins that others don't but their locations don't change. So you haven't plugged that big sucker in yet? There's your no start.

99xcss4

Reaction score
it is pluged in and the bolt is tight I am trying to pin down if the dash harness is what is wrong or if there is another problem that I do not know about I wish it was that we forgot to plug it in it will not crank if it is unpluged I was watching an upload of a old tech video it says that if you can get the cel/ses light to flash 12 you have comunications between pcm engine trans and truck

99xcss4

Reaction score
I have found these useful but they have not fixed what ever the problem I have been trying to get this thing going on and off again for over 2 years now I have watched all of these many time they did not fix it I do have a new coil and distributor new icm new pickup coil

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

this is on tpi but had some info that also aplies to tbi

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

The one I was talking about is the passenger side where the wiring to the PCM goes. Other bigass plug. :)

Richard