4-Link?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Has anybody 4-linked their truck on here? I've been considering doing a SAS but instead of doing leaf springs up front, i though about 4 linking it as well as the rear? yay or nay?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Id say go for it... But it would cost you alot more. coil over for the front would have to be huge for them to work good. I 4 linked the back of my truck. Havent got to try it out yet, but it is a nice install for sure. Im assuming a 4 link for a 4x4 would be double or tripple the cost...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I am in the darkness on this one. Please shed light on the term "4-link"

I have heard people mention it, but don't know what it is....

I DO know what SAS is and that is awesome enough, haha

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I am in the darkness on this one. Please shed light on the term "4-link"

I have heard people mention it, but don't know what it is....

I DO know what SAS is and that is awesome enough, haha

A 4-link is basically ditching the whole leaf spring thing and instead of using leaf springs to align the axle, you use 4 links that attach to it and are attached to the frame. usually 2 are on the outside and 2 on the inside, since it eliminates leaf springs, you have to use coil over shocks instead of leafs.

its much simpler than a leaf spring kit, and alot cheaper, but the coil-overs cost an arm and a leg.

You must be registered for see images attach

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Id say go for it... But it would cost you alot more. coil over for the front would have to be huge for them to work good. I 4 linked the back of my truck. Havent got to try it out yet, but it is a nice install for sure. Im assuming a 4 link for a 4x4 would be double or tripple the cost...

Do you have pics?!

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
A 4-link is basically ditching the whole leaf spring thing and instead of using leaf springs to align the axle, you use 4 links that attach to it and are attached to the frame. usually 2 are on the outside and 2 on the inside, since it eliminates leaf springs, you have to use coil over shocks instead of leafs.

its much simpler than a leaf spring kit, and alot cheaper, but the coil-overs cost an arm and a leg.

Their not necessarily 2 inside 2 outside... personally never seen that. Look ay it this way, the 4 link does nothing with handling of the truck when it comes to steering. so the axle doesnt care where the 4-link is. Basicly, all it does is keeps your rearend/front axle pointing straight, and stop any twisting of the axle that leafs would have. Also, when you run a 4-link, you also run a Pan head bar, goes from the side of the frame to the middle, or off center of the axle. This will stop the side to side motion of the axle. Let me find you some pictures guys.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
never knew that- very interesting idea. Thanks!

Do they ride like a bucket of rocks?

Before i go look, in my opinion, now keep in mind i have never been in one yet. My truck is the first i build/gonna drive. But i think stiffness of the ride will determine on the coil over you choose

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Heres a rough ideer of where im gonna run the bars

The middle bar is the Pan head

I do have it done and welded up. Im still boxing in the frame though. I will load my pictures to photobucket and show you guy what mine looks like with the frame extended to weld the 4 link to. I dont have my pan head done though.
Heres a link on how to install my setup, if you watch it... you'll understabnd alot more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tX4Uiad7A8

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I honestly don't know much about them since I've never done any research on them, but use this as inspiration :naughty:

Rear Suspension:
- 69" WMS to WMS - Rock Jock Dana 60 High Pinion, Full floater 8-lug axle w/rear disc brakes. (stock axles are 67" WMS to WMS)
- 1350 yolk/u-joint
- 35 Spline axles
- 4.88 gears
- Detroit Locker
- Triangulated 4 link
- Fox 16" Remote Reservoir Coilovers (I can't remember the exact spring rates)
- Anti-Rock Offroad Sway Bar
- Poly Performance Limit Straps

Front Suspension:
- 1992 Ford Kingpin Dana 60 High pinion (8 lug) w/disc brakes (69" wms also)
- OE Axles
- 1350 yolk/u-joint
- 4.88 gears
- ARB Locker
- High steer arms
- 3 link w/Panhard bar
- Fox 16" Remote Res. Coilovers
- Anti-Rock Offroad Swaybar
- PSC Hydraulic Assist Steering
- Borgeson Steering shaft
- Custom 1350 front Drive shaft
- Poly Performance Limit straps

Wheels/Tires:
- 17x9 Black "Steelies"
- 40x13.50 Goodyear MTR Tires.

Frame:
- In the front the frame was cut, notched, reinforced and Boxed in to clear the front tires at full stuff/lock.
- In the rear the frame was also notched, reinforced and boxed to clear the rear coilovers at full extention.
- In the Center, the frame was Boxed and Sleeved to support a custom cross member built for mounting the front lower links (fully removable for easy access for transmission/t-case removal or maint.)
- Both the front and rear "bumper mounts" on the frame were clipped off and boxed to provide a solid mounting plate for the tube bumpers that you see...(More tubing to come in the future)
- New front and rear body mounts were also fabricated
- 2"x4" 3/8 wall square tube was used for the (very stout) side protection
- Standard Skateboard spec grip tape provides a nice non slip surface on the side protection for a step.
- Bottle Opener on the rear bumper (every truck should have one!)

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2960468&postcount=4433