4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
FINALLY got the engine dropped in the mounts on the frame! The transmission, however, is still just kind of sitting there on the cross members. That will be tomorrow's battle, especially since I have to replace the rear mount. It's trashed.

Also, here's something that you all may find interesting. I tried putting the oil filter on, with the engine all bolted up in the mounts. No can do with that little strut rod hanging off there. Can't even jam the filter in there. I'm wondering if that strut rod should even be there, now that a V8 is under the hood.

You must be registered for see images attach
Disregard my idiocy. I just went out with a light.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OH lol. Makes perfect sense now.

FWIW, I've FINALLY got the MF'ing transmission lined up and bolted it!@#$%^ Only took about 6 hours and 3 fully-sweated-in t-shirts to accomplish this.

Now I have another question. I'm missing the hardware that fastens the inspection cover to the transmission. I can't really proceed without that hardware. It's definitely course thread, but could be a machine screw. No idea and I definitely don't have the hardware in my labeled baggies.

I took a stroll through the junkyard in hopes of finding said hardware. Seems to only be on the 5-speed, and NOT ONE GMT 400 in the yard was a stick. I am, however, finding more and more 88 - 95 RCLB K2500's. This saddens me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple extra 4WD torque converter covers for 700/4L60. Fairly sure the cover-to-trans case fasteners are Metric.

Also fairly sure the struts-to-converter cover bolts are Metric.

Expect Metric fasteners on the manual trans, too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am, however, finding more and more 88 - 95 RCLB K2500's. This saddens me.
"I" would be looking for a 9.5" axle with the 11.x rear drums, in the correct width and gear ratio.

If they weren't so heavy, awkward, and therefore expensive to ship, you could probably make some money there.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a couple extra 4WD torque converter covers for 700/4L60. Fairly sure the cover-to-trans case fasteners are Metric.

Also fairly sure the struts-to-converter cover bolts are Metric.

Expect Metric fasteners on the manual trans, too.
Can I Expect, then, that you'll tell me what size they are?

"I" would be looking for a 9.5" axle with the 11.x rear drums, in the correct width and gear ratio.

If they weren't so heavy, awkward, and therefore expensive to ship, you could probably make some money there.

Yeah, I understand. I'm really not interested in underselling a junkyard, though. Also, I seriously don't have time to be pulling parts like that.

I did, OTOH, find a nearly rust free rear cross member and a 14 bolt rear on an early 90's K2500 in a different junkyard. That cross member would have been nice to have, but, for the ABSOLUTE HASSLE it is to get the employees there to do anything, it wasn't critical enough to go through the rigmarole for a spare part.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figure out your oil filter? You’ve got the smaller of the two. The PF1218 is the bigger 2wd. However the PF454 is even shorter but fatter.