350TBI 1500RPM engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the trans was recently R&Rd, it's far more likely that the bolts weren't tightened properly than the possibility of a cracked flexplate, which is rare on that combination. And he won't think much of the loose TC bolts if he doesn't know that can create his noise.

Tom

Andrew Barker

Reaction score
Stop EVERYTHING! The torque converter bolts aren't tight. This will make noise just like a rod knock, but it will come and go under the exact circumstances you described. 10 minute fix.

Tom
I checked the bolts, they were tight enough that it was turning the engine over when I tried to tighten

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy the Summit or Lisle version. The welded tab on my $20 flywheel turner keeps flexing and two weeks ago it slipped and I punched myself in the forehead.
Thats good advice. This one is the "Powerbuilt" piece of crap and I ended up having re weld it for exactly the same reason. I only cracked myself in the head once!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since the trans was recently R&Rd, it's far more likely that the bolts weren't tightened properly than the possibility of a cracked flexplate, which is rare on that combination. And he won't think much of the loose TC bolts if he doesn't know that can create his noise.

Tom
Also good advice. I would also make sure that they put the correct bolts back into it.
I only mention this because years ago I had to put a clutch into a 1952 f600 tow truck with a 292 Merc on the side of I-5 in the snow because the guy who owned the damn thing replaced the pressure plate bolts with new ones that bottomed out before they torqued.
Wouldnt have done it except my roadrunner was hanging of the hook.
It sucked

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If you need to change the flexplate put some 7" bolts in the 2 lowest bellhousing holes will keep it aligned-ish so you don't have to drop the trans or disconnect EVERYTHING.