3500 Dually Rear Brake Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my rear brakes locking when it rained, which seems to be not an uncommon problem with duallys.

Last time it started I had someone adjust the brakes and they were adjusted too tight and I didn't catch it until I drove across town on the highway. When I applied brakes I had a horrible vibration from the rear. When I got to my destination I could smell the brake was burning, so I backed off the adjuster. It's no longer burning, but the bad vibration when braking is still there, just not as bad.

Anyway, I think it must've warped the drum.

So, I ordered new brakes and a drums for the rear, but I was wondering if anyone had a write up on how to change the rear brakes. I know I pull the axle, etc etc, but I'm more concerned on how to separate the hub from the drum.

Thanks for any help.
Rob

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I don't have a write up, but have done it myself. The hub is part of the drum. At least on the 92 14b ff. You will need to replace the bearings as well. I can't for the life of me remember how the bearing races are located but they in the drum/hub.

After removing the axle, there will be a snap ring. Remove that, then a externally threaded crown nut. I used a flat head and hammer and tapped it out. I have heard the d44 hub nut socket works, but I'm cheap. After that the hub and drum assembly should come off.