350 tbi cam/ other mods??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
You should really check to see if your block is roller cam compatible, if so, go to the wrecking yard and strip down an l31 vortec 350 and grab the cam/lifters/spider and front retainer plate and bolts and pushrods. order a timing set for the vortec 96-00 350, clean all the parts you scored, lube well and install into your block. Mic your distributor shaft and order a melonized cam gea for your shaft diameter. NO TUNING necessary and never have to worry about your cam going flat again. I did this on a 93 c3500 and it ran AMAZINGLY smooth with better seat of the pants off idle power. Cheap and easy since youre gonna be in it that far anyway.

Reaction score
What is wrong with the valve seats on these things?
Not the valve seats. The clearance issue is with retainer to seal clearance. Something you should always check with a new cam. Some vortec heads will hit around .500 valve lift, none of them are the same and need to be checked anytime you get near .480 valve lift or so. even then you can change springs and retainers to gain a little more clearance.
You must be registered for see images attach

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the valve seats. The clearance issue is with retainer to seal clearance. Something you should always check with a new cam. Some vortec heads will hit around .500 valve lift, none of them are the same and need to be checked anytime you get near .480 valve lift or so. even then you can change springs and retainers to gain a little more clearance.
I was just asking what Gramps had found with the valve seats since he has had his through a machine shop to fix problems he found. The heads in question aren't stock Vortecs; they're Enginequest CH350G heads. They don't have retainer to seal clearance problem that stock Vortecs have. The clearance with the stock EQ hardware looks like this:
With the Comp 787 retainers that I'm using, it's even more. The valve springs EQ ships these with appear to be your average "Z28" spring. Should be fine for a small flat tappet, but I didn't try them because I have a roller cam.

Reaction score
He said valve seats, but i think he meant the spring seats and or the valve guide boss where the stem seals sit. But all a moot point since you appear to have no issues with clearance.