350 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah boost isn't anywhere in the foreseeable future of this truck. I'm taking the simple/reliable route.lol

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
I just did a similar swap only my truck had a v8 already but it's a 1994
And I used an edelbrock carburetor.
I used a tps setup from U.S. Shift that's meant for edelbrock carbs.
I'm using the factory computer with no modification done to it and it shifts fine.
For fuel in running the factory pump in the tank with a Holly 12-887 pressure regulator
Which has a return and provision for a gage right on the regulator.
All my gauges on the dash work normally just using the factory sensors plugged into
The factory wiring harness. However the check engine light is on because,obviously,I'm not
Using certain things(map sensor,IAC,ect) that the computer is looking for but it runs fine.
I also switched to a older style HEi distributor which was a easy hookup

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did a similar swap only my truck had a v8 already but it's a 1994
And I used an edelbrock carburetor.
I used a tps setup from U.S. Shift that's meant for edelbrock carbs.
I'm using the factory computer with no modification done to it and it shifts fine.
For fuel in running the factory pump in the tank with a Holly 12-887 pressure regulator
Which has a return and provision for a gage right on the regulator.
All my gauges on the dash work normally just using the factory sensors plugged into
The factory wiring harness. However the check engine light is on because,obviously,I'm not
Using certain things(map sensor,IAC,ect) that the computer is looking for but it runs fine.
I also switched to a older style HEi distributor which was a easy hookup
Is there any way at all that I could see a picture or a video of your setup? I would be extremely grateful.

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
How did you wire that TPS into your existing wiring harness?

The U.S. Shift tps kit came with a wiring harness and directions as to what color wires
In their harness are for. I just cut off the factory tps plug and matched up the wires from
a factory wiring diagram . In the bottom picture i posted above the black,blue and grey wires are
The factory harness and the Orange,green and black are from the kit.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys hijacking the thread here a bit but-- if you went to a carb setup and wanted to use a mechanical pump what modifications would you have to make to fuel pickup?
I am going to drop the tank (again) and remove the whole unit. Can I simply use the existing fuel lines (output and return) or would I have to modify the lines somehow or remove the electric pump. Also what wires power the fuel gauge? I tried to test it earlier but I couldn't get a ohm reading..

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
Hey guys hijacking the thread here a bit but-- if you went to a carb setup and wanted to use a mechanical pump what modifications would you have to make to fuel pickup?
I am going to drop the tank (again) and remove the whole unit. Can I simply use the existing fuel lines (output and return) or would I have to modify the lines somehow or remove the electric pump. Also what wires power the fuel gauge? I tried to test it earlier but I couldn't get a ohm reading..

Well,honestly I tried to use a mechanical pump but ran into vapor lock problems so went back to the electric pump. You can pull through the electric pump in the tank or replace it with a short length of line attached to the sender. You can pull the fuel pump fuse under the hood to cut power to the pump itself and the fuel gage will still work normally.The lines need to be lengthened to reach the mechanical pump,also the factory fuel filter should be removed as mechanical pumps don't like to pull through a filter and a new one installed after the pump before the carburetor.
Of course this will work if your block has a provision for a mechanical pump and your cam has a lobe to run it. Also this is info from working on my 94. Newer trucks may be slightly different

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can someone show me where to find the motor mounts that bolt to the crossmember for a v8? Or perhaps a part number or something? I don't really know what to look for and haven't had any luck finding them.

Also:

HUGE thanks to all you guys for all of the amazing information that you've shared! You have all helped me so much in this project so far.