305 vs. 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRHernandez88

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the chevy scene and have a quick question. I'm in the beggining process of building a Single cab Sportside truck and I'm about to have to choose which engine I'm going to go with.

The truck is going to be driven atleast 30 miles a day and will have small equipment in the back and a few days a week tow a very small trailer with a pressure washer or 2. I want the truck to have power but not be too much of a gas guzzler. I'm thinking I want a very mild build for example I'm thinking a stock block, with a mild cam, long tubes, full exhaust, gears, (maybe) small shot of nitrous, and other basic bolt on's.

My only concern right now is GAS! I know to begin with a truck with a V-8 isn't going to be a gas saver but i need the truck for work but also want a toy so it's going to serve both purposes. How much gas would I be saving with a 305 over a 350 and is it worth it with the amount of power i would be losing. I'm basically very green when it comes to chevys so any information would be appreciated and if you have any tips or pointers on which way I should go with the build I'd definately be thankful. Like i said i'm still very early in the project and the more info the better thanks! :mexsmoke:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You can pretty much do all the same "bolt ons" to a 305 that you can a 350. If I were building the truck you are talking about I wouldn't use either. I'd use a 5.3 or 6.0 LS truck motor. They are cheap and easy to find. There are also intakes and ignition systems to run them carbureted. They are solid, reliable mills that respond excellent to power mods. They also use the same transmissions.