3 wheel drive? 1 front wheel wont engage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With all 4 off of the ground idle the truck in 4lo. Put your boot up to the side of the front tire that is spinning and try to stop it. I bet it will stop and the other tire will spin. If so then it is working properly. An open differential will allow the tire with the least resistance to spin. Have someone in the cab just in case something happens to go wrong.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
With all 4 off of the ground idle the truck in 4lo. Put your boot up to the side of the front tire that is spinning and try to stop it. I bet it will stop and the other tire will spin. If so then it is working properly. An open differential will allow the tire with the least resistance to spin. Have someone in the cab just in case something happens to go wrong.

^^This. IFS is open.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

X3. Factory configuration is an open diff in the front. You really wouldn't want a locker up there in most situations, hence the reason that a lot of people who upgrade to front lockers use air or e-lockers so they can unlock them on demand. If the front wheels were turning the same speed all the time in 4WD the truck wouldn't corner worth a damn.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah I know the ifs is open, just thought with no ground resistence both would spin, so basically that side probably just has more resistence, enough so that it never gets power? Which would point me to CV again correct?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I know the ifs is open, just thought with no ground resistence both would spin, so basically that side probably just has more resistence, enough so that it never gets power? Which would point me to CV again correct?
No. Your CV is fine if you do what I suggested above and the opposite tire spins. The side with the most resistance is not the one that gets power. If you have a slight brake drag, a stiffer CV, a tighter wheel bearing etc. it will have more resistance than the other side. Your boot on the tire should be enough resistance to overcome that tire and allow the other tire to spin.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Your CV is fine if you do what I suggested above and the opposite tire spins. The side with the most resistance is not the one that gets power. If you have a slight brake drag, a stiffer CV, a tighter wheel bearing etc. it will have more resistance than the other side. Your boot on the tire should be enough resistance to overcome that tire and allow the other tire to spin.
Alright ill give that a shot tonight first. Ive just never had the truck feel like this when in 4x4. Ive been dailying this truck for 2 years and its never done this before. Thats why I felt something was wrong.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score

One side is always loaded more than the other, that's why you have a power tire.

Either spinning both tires like I suggested, or doing as Skylark suggested will show if your diff is hurt or not.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One side is always loaded more than the other, that's why you have a power tire.

Either spinning both tires like I suggested, or doing as Skylark suggested will show if your diff is hurt or not.

Well the boot thing worked. I feel like an idiot. I always seem to overthink little quirks like that, but hey, I figure better safe than sorry!

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Well the boot thing worked. I feel like an idiot. I always seem to overthink little quirks like that, but hey, I figure better safe than sorry!

that's why i'm on this forum........this is my first IFS truck and I wan't to learn what NOT to do with it, suspension-wise...... the '90 K/5 I just had to get rid of was the first fuelie vehicle in my life.......I didn't know crap about that setup when I got it, wtf was ABS? LOL........and there was no internet to get answers from a few years back......well, mayhaps i'm dating myself