3/4 ton swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmills

Reaction score
I got a 95 half ton 350 would like to put 3/4 ton axles on it any words of wisdom or advice..do i need to beef up tranny cuz im not impresses with these 4l60e..was thinkin some sterling's

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Words of wisdom: Don't. Sell your half ton and buy a 3/4 ton or SRW 1ton.

The front differential is not a plug and play swap, they use a physically larger ring gear and housing. Adapting the front knuckles / suspension isn't a walk in the park, IE: not unbolt one and bolt the other up.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would agree, sell it and buy a 3/4 or 1 ton, plus you will get a much stronger trans out of the deal!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
*** before anyone goes off the wall with it will or will not work ***
I have done extensive research on this before i settled on the truck i built.

1. The differential will not fit. Brackets could be made.

2. 1/2 ton CV axles will not fit a 3/4 ton differential.

3. 3/4 ton CV axles WILL fit a 1/2 ton hub, but they are too long to fit in a 1/2 ton truck because the steering knuckles are different in design.

4. 3/4 ton wheel bearings will not fit a 1/2 ton truck.

5. 3/4 ton steering knuckles WILL bolt to a 1/2 ton truck, but the geometry is incorrect, it binds when flexed, and is unalignable. And by unalignable, i mean its not even close. Tires sit like / \

If you intend on keeping IFS, buying a 3/4 ton is your best bet unless you want to cut the frame off at the firewall and graft a 3/4 ton frame on it. By buying a 3/4 ton you will also already have 3/4 ton torsion bars, front and rear axle, and frame. I took a 3/4 ton single cab long bed and cut it down to a single cab short bed. You would already have a 4l80 trans (nv4500 if its manual) too. If you are going to SAS, I would still suggest using the 3/4 ton for frame strength, the upgraded trans, and if you want a big block, that is an option too.