2wd SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 2wd shorty frame lined up, since mine is in rough shape. anyone know what problems i'd run into with the 2wd frame for my SAS?
i've been reading some stuff like the coil buckets and lower engine cross member are different and may be a problem but they can always be replaced/cut out.
any input would help

thanks

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Why would you waste your time doing a SAS on a 2wd? :shrug:

The same reason you would waste your time doing it on an IFS 4x4 truck. If someone wants a better suited truck for off roading and general use of 4 wheel drive then why would you want to even start with a 4x4? 2wd trucks are cheaper to buy and if you know you want a solid axle then it makes no sense to buy a 4x4 to convert. The process is the same for both 2wd and 4x4 trucks; remove the entire front suspension system, weld some leaf spring brackets, add a solid front axle and leaf springs and run a cross over steering system. No benefit of doing that with a 4x4 over a 2wd. The only thing that a 4x4 has is a transfer case but unless you plan on using a Ford front axle the stock transfer case is useless. I am underway of doing a 4wd conversion on my 94 reg/short. I may be selling all of the SAS stuff and using an IFS due to the fact I don't want to lift the truck.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you waste your time doing a SAS on a 2wd? :shrug:
I have a 4wd shorty, the frame is a piece of crap, so it would be pointless to do all the work and frame collapse on me. I bought the 2wd frame that is in new condition and cut and welded the coil buckets out of it.

brownboy1588

Reaction score
ive got the ORD soild axle swap on my truck, now idk if the frame is different on a 2wd but if they are anywhere near the same thier is no reason why it wouldnt work on a 2wd