2-3" rough country lift problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 95 k1500 that I within the past year installed a rough country 2-3" suspension lift in. Since then It's been nothing but a nightmare. The first time I had my problem, a friend had noticed my tires were wobbling extremely bad while I was driving. I had determined the upper control arm ball joints were blowing out in the matter of a couple weeks after install(this happened twice). After quite a few emails back and forth with customer service, they had "assumed" that my torsion bars were cranked too high even tho they were returned back to stock measurements like the directions had said. I had another set of control arms sent out and after another alignement I seem to be ok. Recently someone had been following me and noticed that, once again, they are wobbling pretty bad but it seems my ball joints are alright when compared to last time. Right now my tires aren't balanced but I wouldn't think that would cause that sort of problem. I've read some bad things about this lift, but on the other hand have read some good reviews so idk. I'm curious if theres anything I'm missing or what other possibilities the problem could be? I'm nervous to take it off road if there's that much play in the wheels and just looking for some help or suggestions...thanks

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unbalanced tires won't make them wobble. Maybe you have worn front hubs?? Are you sure your wheels are properly seated against the face of the hub?

BIGBLAZER

Reaction score
Are they actually wobbling? I also had this kit in my blazer back in 06 and had many people tell me the same thing.. after looking into it and following a buddy with the same kit in his 97 z71 i realized what ppl were seeing and that was that the tire is not wobbling but instead when you hit a bump due to the angles that kit makes and the new longer upper control are when the suspension cycles weather its a little bit or alot the tires camber changes dramatically and from behind looks like the tire is bout to fall off! I even had someone flag me down on the freeway it looks so bad! and really there is nothin wrong its just one more down fall to that kit!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'd suggest removing the kit. That kit has been proven time and time again to be problematic. It addresses some issues of a TB crank, but then over-stresses the other parts it doesn't address.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they actually wobbling? I also had this kit in my blazer back in 06 and had many people tell me the same thing.. after looking into it and following a buddy with the same kit in his 97 z71 i realized what ppl were seeing and that was that the tire is not wobbling but instead when you hit a bump due to the angles that kit makes and the new longer upper control are when the suspension cycles weather its a little bit or alot the tires camber changes dramatically and from behind looks like the tire is bout to fall off! I even had someone flag me down on the freeway it looks so bad! and really there is nothin wrong its just one more down fall to that kit!

I've had my gf drive the truck while I poked my head out the window and noticed when she hit bumps how much the camber changes and how drastic it is...I'm glad to know its not only my truck and maybe that's what it is. I can't even imagine what it will be like when I decide to take it wheelin then.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd suggest removing the kit. That kit has been proven time and time again to be problematic. It addresses some issues of a TB crank, but then over-stresses the other parts it doesn't address.

I've been debating it...u happen to know if the 6" is any better of a design? I'd really like to try and get my money back and hopefully put it towards that instead.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I have the RCX lift and ran it at four inches and now at six and havent had any problems with it!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been debating it...u happen to know if the 6" is any better of a design? I'd really like to try and get my money back and hopefully put it towards that instead.

Yes the 4"/6" kit is a completely different design. It drops all the a-arms, the steering linkage an the front diff 5.25". It corrects everything that goes wrong with a crank....

Silveradhoe

Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread but I don't want people to read it and be misled.
ALL Rough Country lifts for GMT400s are COMPLETE GARBAGE! ALL of them have issues with alignment & chewing up front tires! IDK how they stay in business. IDK about their lift kits for other model-years & other makes but their GMT400 kits are trash.
Save your $ & buy a BDS or RCD lift for your GMT400. These kits cost a lot more than RCX but they actually perform. With GMT400 lifts, you absolutely get what you pay for!!!