1998 Tahoe tailgate difficult to open and close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OngoGablogian

Reaction score
I have searched here, other forums, and youtube, and have not found any help. I can't be the only one with this issue. So here it goes.

I have the tailgate style rear hatch/glass on my ‘99 Tahoe. With the glass open (opens fine usually, sometimes sticks a little), opening the tailgate takes multiple hard pulls. The first pull opens it a little bit from the “fully closed” position (loose but neither open nor closed all the way), then again to open it all the way.

Closing it, I have to slam it like 10+ times on average to get it to close all the way. Most of the time it latches to the “half way” latched-but-not-closed position. It is infuriating. And I bet its not good for the other internals that I'm slamming it closed over and over.

After I have the plastic interior panel removed; what am I looking to lube, tighten, re-align or replace?

Am I looking at two separate issues for opening and closing?

Thank you,

OngoGablogian

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine’s not quite as bad, but white lithium in the side latches seems to help a little. Best guess is that the internals need to be lubricated, but I haven’t opened it up to see how it works.