1998 K1500, Driver side window won't move when door heats up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SA_trucker

Reaction score
Strange problem I've noticed with my 1998 K1500 - if I happen to park with the driver side door where it gets beat on by the sun all day long and its warm out, the driver side window won't roll down until the door cools off. The passenger side works fine (though I've never truly tested it by purposefully parking with the passenger door facing the sun). It happens pretty infrequently so I haven't tried chasing the cause just yet.

Just yesterday it happened, and this morning after sitting in the nice cool San Antonio night it worked fine this morning.

Any thoughts?

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2003 mustang GT does that as well. It works again once it cools down. I used to know why but since forgot...

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Strange problem I've noticed with my 1998 K1500 - if I happen to park with the driver side door where it gets beat on by the sun all day long and its warm out, the driver side window won't roll down until the door cools off. The passenger side works fine (though I've never truly tested it by purposefully parking with the passenger door facing the sun). It happens pretty infrequently so I haven't tried chasing the cause just yet.

Just yesterday it happened, and this morning after sitting in the nice cool San Antonio night it worked fine this morning.

Any thoughts?
Mine had the same issue, set in sun and would not roll down, which made me think switch ... Turned out to be window motor with a issue. Replaced motor and that was the end of the problem. I caught it one day when it quit working long enough to chase down the problem, switch checked out good.. I held switch and tapped on motor with a small hammer and it came down. I replaced the motor & Reg with one from Rock Auto and that cured the problem. Mine is a 98 as well.

SA_trucker

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!! One of these days i'll get to it and try that out. I've replaced the switch as well, so I ruled that out. Sounds like I've got the same motor issue