1998 K1500 Crank. No start. Stalls.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some help here. My truck is a 98 Sierra with vortec 350. Never had any problems with the truck until today. I had been driving the truck last night and it ran fine, nothing unusual. I go out today to start and all the truck will do is start for about 1 second and then immediately dies. I tried having the gas pedal down a little bit and turn over. Still stalled and did not keep running. Previous owner had replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. What could it be?

I was reading that the possible solutions are the VATS (Security, but my truck keys do not have anything special with them. just solid metal key), fuel pump replay, filter, pump, or bad spyder injectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
The 1998 and newer GMT400 didn't have the chip in the key, the ignition lock cylinder and its housing is where the chip would be located.

Observe the "SECURITY" light, located in the upper right hand corner of the instrument panel/cluster. If the passlock/theft deterrent is disabling the injectors, the "SECURITY" light should be illuminated solid and or flashing right after the engine stalls(stalling abruptly/not sputtering out).

Here is a video which shows the location of the SECURITY light, etc etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRwkEFLq-U
Looks frustrating, having a small part holding up expensive equipment. Have been down that road myself.

Some thoughts are, a excessively worn key might cause an issue, maybe try a spare/different key or have a dealer cut a new key from the VIN number and try that.

There are two fuses to check, one is the SECURITY fuse(10amp #21))located in the IP fuse panel, the other is the GAUGES fuse(10amp #4)also located in the IP fuse panel. Others have mentioned that those fuse numbers are easily misinterpreted at the IP fuse panel and I agree, maybe double check the position # of the fuses being inspected.

If there is a remote start installed on the vehicle, it most likely has a SECURITY bypass module or something similar, that should probably be inspected as well.

Here is a bit more info on how and why to reprogram the passlock/security.

PASSLOCK REPROGRAMMING AUTO LEARN

IMPORTANT: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/PASSLOCK module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

The EVO/PASSLOCK module
The PASSLOCK sensor
The VCM/PCM

The EVO/PASSLOCK module will set the DTC B3031 in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.

IMPORTANT: Erase the PASSLOCK related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM.

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
2. Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM DTCs.
3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
4. Wait 10 minutes . Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:

-If the PASSLOCK sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
-If the EVO/PASSLOCK module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
-If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
-If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.

5. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds .
7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM. The new password is learned on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).

In my case, with the key on, the security light remained illuminated and never extinguished. After proving the rest of the wiring and components good, I replaced the evo/passlock module(aka:theft deterrent module)and resolved my problem.

You might also want to search the forum for disabling passlock.
I guess there are a couple different ways of going about that.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Check ALL your grounds under the hood, and wires. After some research, sounds like the system ground could be messed up. Disconnect and reconnect your battery overnight. That way your computer resets

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, thank you! I will be trying out the system reset. My truck has an old command start but does not have some of the stuff. I want to remove the rest of it anyway. I think that something in my command start is messed up. I will be bypassing the security so this wont happen again in the future. I have read that you need to read a resistance between yellow wire and brown I believe. Then cut yellow wire and wire in a resister that matches the resistance you had read. I will inform you with what I find.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE: Found the problem on why my truck was not starting. There was a little black box with 2 plug-ins in it. also on one side it had numbers 0-9 with a little slide switch. I`m guessing this gives a serial number for the correct remote for a command start? It looks similar to a garage door remote where they have the numbers and slide to match the garage door remote to the motor. Plugged it back in and started right away. I noticed that my security light would only flash 3 times and then stay off so new something wasnt right where it might not be the cylinder. looked around and found problem. Thank you for the help nonetheless!