1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 cranks but dies immediately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiftedZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is mmy first time posting on here. I have a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71. Got in it and went to go somewh ere and it would crank up but die immediately. After fooling around with it for a while finally got it to crank up. Just seein if yall have aany advice on what to look at

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Security system was tripped...it disables the fuel pump moments after the engine cranks.

Usually..key in the drivers door, door shut..lock, and unlock...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same problem but no security light. But mine still will not crank.
Welcome to the forum Phillip, you may want to start a new thread instead of responding to this old unsolved one - hit the red "Post new thread" button, and be sure to tell us year, engine, miles, and any prior history with the vehicle. Also specifically what you mean by won't crank. People inadvertently mix terms, crank would mean the starter turning the engine. So it won't crank, or it cranks but won't start?

Richard

Reaction score
first off , when you turn key on , does security light come on the shuts off , or does it come on and starts flashing, if it is flashing , you might wait about 10 minutes and try again , if it still flashes the your passlock module is bad and it will not start and stay running, i have read alot of people have bypassed them , but i just replaced mine . hard to get to inside dash.
if your security light doesnt flash , first thing i would check is fuel pressure if you have anything less than 55 lbs you have a bad fuel pump, this is an item you dont want to go aftermarket on , as there are alot of bad ones out there, oem is the way to go and they are same price 200.00 , no matter where you get it.
i hope this helps