1997 5.7 Vortec won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I bought one from them to hook up to the fuel test port but returned it when I realized it wouldn't open the Schrader valve. Now I guess I should've kept it lol.
Never hurts to have around lol

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never hurts to have around lol
Yeah but right now money is kinda tight...

So what should I start doing first? Checking fuel pressure? Should I check at the fuel test port first?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Yeah but right now money is kinda tight...

So what should I start doing first? Checking fuel pressure? Should I check at the fuel test port first?
I know the feeling, that's why I don't have one either...

For free, you can key on engine off, shine a light through the open TB and see if you see a leak or anything, then yes, check the pressure at the port.

I believe they loan that tool also

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the feeling, that's why I don't have one either...

For free, you can key on engine off, shine a light through the open TB and see if you see a leak or anything, then yes, check the pressure at the port.

I believe they loan that tool also
Apparently they rent out a complete kit for $150. When the time comes that's probably what I'll use.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Well, your pump doesn't seem any louder than mine, not that that's very scientific lol

It also didn't seem to me to even attempt to start, which makes me think the injectors aren't firing at all. You may very well need the cam sensor after all.

After some thought on this, ( I'm usually at work while you're posting), having pressure at the rail neither proves nor disproves the injectors are firing, as either way there could be pressure at the rail...

If it was me, I'd be satisfied enough with the troubleshooting to try a cam sensor

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loudness alone doesn't have much to do with it being good or bad and actual volume level will vary dependent on pump brand, fuel level, ambient noise, etc. NOT being able to hear the pump is bad, but being able to hear the pump is normal, however if you notice the pump progressively getting louder over time compared to what it was originally, then that could be bad, but is still far from definitive.

one thing for certain though, if you hear the pump at all then you absolutely cannot judge if the pump is good or bad without checking the pressure, period. you should be able to go to autozone and rent a gauge for free, they will likely charge a deposit, which will then get fully refunded on return. but without an actual fuel pressure reading you're simple guessing and taking shots in the dark. you need to somehow get a gauge, either rent one, borrow one, or something and get some real actual readings. just for example, if your pump is putting out 58 psi the injectors should be firing, if your pump is putting out ~45-50psi, then they won't be firing at all, not even a little bit...the vortec spider injectors require a very specific pressure range to function, if you're not well within that range you will not get ANY fuel whatsoever.

I guarantee you'll be spending far far far more money buying random sensors that likely aren't the problem than just getting the proper diagnostics to figure out what is actually wrong first. I still highly doubt that it is the cam sensor, crank sensor, etc...did you check codes? that's also free. you really need to get the proper diagnostic tests done before throwing completely random money at it, especially if your budget is tight.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tested the camshaft position sensor and it's got good power, and good ground, but the signal wire wasn't sending anything back out.

I'm gonna purchase the camshaft position sensor and rent a fuel pressure kit from AutoZone. I'm gonna test the fuel pressure and if everything looks right, I'll replace the sensor.

Wise Wolf

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you checked the Fuel Pump Relay? if there is any charring/clicking when it gets power its bad. I had a similar issue on my 96 k1500. although It would randomly die at times turned out to be corrosion in the fuse box had to cut wires and make a new harness for the fuel pump relay. worth a check.